Early Forester Turbo

craig914

Alright chaps, got myself a forster turbo the other month spent a fortune on the car buying bits new.

recently landed myself a job in one of the biggest breakers in the UK. My turbo is whining pretty loud and also surges under boost. Not good at all when going for an overtake.

long story short will another turbo bolt upto my 2000 forester turbo? Not many foresters but have all sorts of other brands and models. Or could I use parts from another turbo? Have access to most cars to be fair after something to just bolt up but if you recommend something better could mooch a few more bits. Cheers In advance

Hi mate, good news about the job, if it's a UK car it will more than likely have a tf03 turbo on, imports have a larger td04 on

Pic for comparison

6d3987a154ea7cad57d215314de6de54.jpg

It's a mitsibushi unit so there should be plenty of them around, I believe volvo used them for a while on certian models,

They are oil and water fed so would be easier to find one that has the same kind of set up saves blanking bits off,

In theory pretty much anything will bolt up with some modifications to the hot or cold sides.

A td04 or 05 would give you loads more oomph but to get the best out of it it would need mapping in

• 6 months later...

I don't know anything about the tf03's dimensions but tdo4 and td05 are pretty much the same on the outside measurements

As I did a straight swap (tdo4 to tdo5) and didn't change anything else

Same uppipe

Downpipe

Tmic pipe

And turbo inlet pipework

If you did fit a different turbo (as stants said) you'd need a remap straight after fitting as the fuelling and boost targets would be set for a smaller turbo

What colour are your injectors?

Do you know what "phase" impreza your foz is based on ?

Not sure if your talking to me or not savage but since its an old thread I'll answer anyway lol, I'm aware about the remap but thinking it would be alright to drive to the mappers as long as I kept it off boost, unsure about colour of injectors and again don't know what phase imprezza, I think it's the classic but most images online show classics with coil pack and leads not coil on plug like my car has, it's a confusing world of subarus out there

Yeah sorry I assumed you had a tf03 and wanted to fit something bigger as well .

there's 3 different phases of classics

V1 v2 phase 1 coils on plug

V3 v4 phase 1.5 single coil pack on center of the inlet

V5 v6 phase 2 single coil pack of set on the inlet

And you normally find most ej20 foz engine auxiliaries are based around the same "phase" impreza

have you got a pic of the bay ?

Sounds like you'd have a v1/v2 phase 1 with a top entry turbo .

So it'll be a phase one then, makes life easier thanks :-) it's an ej205 in mine is that anything different or just pretty much the same? Can find a turbo on eBay for 80-100 quid which isn't too bad but it's long term project so just gaining knowledge at the moment

Yours is a 2001 so will be the last of the v5/6's it may even share some parts with newage bug eyes being an ej205, as all the foz's I've come across haven't been as simple as just looking at the same impreza, yours may have a td04 I'm not sure, best off having a look at the turbo, if you look down at the hot side, 'facing you as look at the car' it will have a model number stamped on it

Scooby ghost can tell you what a minefield it is as his ej205 engine needed different gasket seals to what was recomend when he called the dealer.

Again I've had loads of problems getting parts,my maf is listed as a legacy part, the airbox to turbo inlet hose is a v5/6 measurement even though the engine is based upon the v3/4 impreza so if in any doubt measure twice take pics and

Ask loads of questions ☺

I'm totally confused haha, just gonna match parts up based on looks when I need bits lol, can't quite make out the number on the turbo but I think it is tf03,wjll look when I get to work and get a mirror down there, don't worry I'll be asking many more questions I assure you haha

It's definitely not a phase 1 v1/v2 and hasn't got a top entry turbo .

if the injectors are topfeed and blue it's based on a bugeye

If the injectors are side feed and yellow it's based on a v5/v6 phase 2 classic

stants knows more about the foz varients tbh I've never owned one

Lol I wouldn't take anything as concrete with foz's

Mine seems to have been cobbled together with whatever they had lying around, the top mounts at the rear are newage shape and the fronts classic [emoji85]

If your stuck with parts,Tim at scooby parts is a legend, he'll go out of his way to help and will measure parts before they get shipped to make sure they fit.

Unfortunately a week after buying my forester the bottom end developed a large knock so I bought another motor and left it on the drive to rot! I intend to strip the engine down see where there is damage and if possible repair. I have a feeling it might be terminal as when checking the dipstick it was coated in metal filings. We will soon see when I get a chance to split it