Heavy steering at parking speed

DennisBlades

Hi to all. My first post is a question... Always happens that way doesn't it?! Anyhow, I'm the proud owner of a 2007 Forester 2.5 XT, 53,000 km on the clock. The only problems so far are a P2444 error which I know is a sensor failure on the air pump, which is no prob for me as this island is too small for cruise control, but the problem that I would really like help with is the power steering is non-existent at parking speeds. If you try to move the wheel at low speeds you need more force than in my '75 TK Bedford truck with manual steering gear. Any ideas? Please?

Hi and thanks for the response. The belt is tight, and there is no noise at all. If you put slight pressure on the accelerator pedal so that the engine speed raises the steering lightens up considerably, and the fluid level is at "full" with the engine running. I hope that the pump is not packing up so early in life!

Check your tyre pressures as a start. Friends was under inflated and found steering heavy.

Hi and thanks! I will do that tomorrow. I had not thought of that as the car rides really hard. But I am probably comparing it to the 2.0 X which maybe has softer suspension.

Hi and thanks! I will do that tomorrow. I had not thought of that as the car rides really hard. But I am probably comparing it to the 2.0 X which maybe has softer suspension.

yeah possibly. just a simple and cheap to check costing about 20-50p at local garage lol

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update on the outcome.... The tyres were indeed slightly under-inflated, and the steering lightened up a bit with correct pressures. I then noticed sidewall bulges in some areas, so weak sidewalls might be a contributing factor also. When finances are sorted a decent set of tyres will be fitted, then I can report again.