Bottom End Failure

CraigNiv

Hi, brand new and not yet an owner.

I am looking to purchase a WRX MY02 Wagon, which would be the 2.0l turbo. I know that the 2.5l's suffer from Bottom End Failure, but how susceptible are the 2.0l's?

Also, when shopping around are their any early indicators of this to look out for?

Thanks,

Craig

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

yeah they can go if abused / neglected! 

Pretty much best way to tell is drop some oil out and look in the oil but you cant normally do that 

SO 

start it up from dead cold, then rev it gently upto about 1200-1400RPM and let it return to idle and listen for any Dull - loud knocks or tapping

Tapping isnt too bad, some cold start knocking is pretty normal on a older engine but should go within a minute really

bottom end isn't normaly an issue on even 2.5, it's ring land and headgasket.

Bottom end can go after headgasket because the water causes pressure in the cylinder which pushes the rod back pinching the bearing and deforming it. Bottom end refresh is always advised by those in the know following headgasket failure due to that

Cheers Matt.. Handy to know for the next viewing.

Tidgy cheers. Am I likely to get Ringland failure on the forged Pistons of the 2.0l?

Also, any tell tails signs that the head Gasket might be in the way out?

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

No mate, 2.5 suffer the issue as opposed to 2.0. headgaskets go when they go, overheating is a sign but on a 2.0 i wouldn't worry about it.

compared to the 2.5, 2.0 are pretty solid even in uk and wrx form