04' Outback Clock trip computer thingy not working

Pinchcliff

Are you refering to the one in the dash - which does your mileage etc?

Or the one in the centre cubby which covers temp etc

The one in the dash, usually gives an error display when defective

The one in the centre cubby is a known failure item.

One cause is a dry joint on resistor 19, resoldering can sometimes cure it ....

They turn up on the bay, but can cost almost as much as a replacement.

There is a workaround if you do a search, in the forum i found a way to use a non uk spec part :)

I also believe the guy who repairs SAAB SID displays has now started to cover this display too .... if i recall it was between £50-100

for the SAAB SID unit so may be a comparible price

Mart

Thanks Mart, it's the one in the centre of the dash below where the sat nav would go if it was fitted (which it isn't). it's totally dead. I'm aware they appear to be a known failure, there is one currently on the Bay at £90ish which seems a bit steep, I'm not desperately upset it doesn't work but it would be nice to have the car right.

Jeff.

Thanks Mart, it's the one in the centre of the dash below where the sat nav would go if it was fitted (which it isn't). it's totally dead. I'm aware they appear to be a known failure, there is one currently on the Bay at £90ish which seems a bit steep, I'm not desperately upset it doesn't work but it would be nice to have the car right.

Jeff.

I paid £26 for mine .... do a search, :)

or for £45

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-LEGACY-CLOCK-DISPLAY-UNIT-WORLDWIDE-REPAIR-SERVICE-/121432851572

Mart

Once again Mart thanks, the bay link will definitely be route I'll take, I'll ring him on Monday. Out of interest how do you remove them? I'm relatively ok with the spanners but never worked on Subs so be grateful for any tips.

Jeff.

You need to put a trim removal tool (thin piece of plastic) between the box and the dash panel (where the seam around the part is effectivly)

one you pop the tool in you can pull the unit out ...

2 conections normally light & multi plug

Mart

Still expecting a bill of around £750 + but hopefully the car should be spot on after this, love how the car performs and feels so I'm quite happy to spend a few quid getting it how I want it.

Jeff.

picked the car up today ...£1150 for the service plus lots of extras, sounds a lot but it had pretty much everything done and runes like a dream now, hopefully the next service will be simply fluids and filters.

Jeff.

A lot, 2 x CV Joints, Timing Belt + Tensioners, brake pads all round as well as work to free off seized callipers, 2 x rear tyres , spark plugs and full service which included quite a few other bits and bobs. The did have my bottom  jaw on the floor but it's been a fair bit of graft fro the garage and they have fitted few shiny bits.

Jeff.

• 2 weeks later...