Mrs Forester

bikerphil

• 2 weeks later...

Had the heads skimmed, sump replaced, oil pickup found to be cracked and replaced too, and some other bits sorted, dead expensive but been fine since we got it back :)

One of the other issues we had since buying it is a slight scraping sound when turning right at speed. Not sure but it sounds like it's coming from a front wheel. As soon as the steering returns to center it stops. I know how to check wheel bearings and will do so when i get chance, but can anyone advise what to look for or if there is a likely culprit?

Good news on the head reapir,

Scraping Could be the disc dust shield just rubbing when on lock, hard to see really but you can prise it away slifhtly with a large screwdriver, also have a look and see if there's any rust on top of disc that could be catching

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, it's not a scraping on full lock, but when turning even slightly right at speed. I feel it's something to do with the brakes though as they do need attention.

Also after advice on exhausts. It's had a couple of weld repairs so i want to keep my eyes out for a replacement system, maybe a secondhand stainless on eBay, Which exhausts fit other than forester if any? and i wanted something quiet, and poss decatted as it'll be going for a remap at the same time anyway.

Also is it a 2 piece or 3 piece system?

The up pipe doesn't have a cat.

Best bet with exhaust is likes of powerflow or similar to make up a custom stainless.

For scraping/scuffing it worth checking hub for play with dial gauge as bearing play will allow spindle tilt & disc is on the spindle so this tilts & scuffs on discs or shield.

think i am right in saying there is the main cat then further forward there's another smaller filter. when i got mine couple of months back it rattled like hell when pulling away. garage said it was a secondary cat and it wouldn't affect emissions/mot pass if they removed and welded in a piece of pipe instead.

I opted to split the exhaust at the join just at the back of it and discovered a ceramic honeycomb type thing inside had broken up and that was the rattle. bit of carefull tapping with a jack handle then started car up and it all came flying out - silence!