Gearbox / Differential

Gaulson

Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed the dreaded whine from the gearbox, It isn't really loud but I notice it. Also when under load in 3rd gear it rattles/grinds. Also last night on the way home I noticed a knock from the rear on the odd occasion when I put power down or let off which I'm going to assume is the rear diff.

If it turns out to be this problem then I'm stuck on what to do.... Not seen many 6 speed gearboxes around so swapping to one of them might not be an option. Is it possible to get the gearbox reconditioned and made stronger? Any other ideas?

Depends on how much you want to spend really few options

Later second hand box £400

Recon box £800

a six speed conversion £1400

Straight cut 5 gears set (dog box) £2k +

As for future proofing I think there's 5 speed strengthening plates which bolt on the outside of the gearbox and a decent oil like red line shock proof

Well as tempting as it is, straight cut will probably be avoided. I'd like to go 6 speed but only one i've found has the DCCD kit, I imagine that could be a pain to fit.

A recon box would probably be the choice I go for, need to have a word with my brother in law about it see if he knows anyone. Thanks for the reply Savage :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.. I've just spent £1300 on my 6 speed box.. 595 Inc vat just on the centre diff.. 

It started about a month ago a lil knocking sound when at low speed and dropping revs.. then got a lot louder.. when I sent it to get repaired the problem was the diff as it had bits of mental hanging out from it..

2 weeks later.. as the box was out I dropped in a lightweight flywheel and new stage 2 clutch.. Over the moon as the car was ready 2 collect!!

So as I drove it out of the garage I could still hear the same light knocking sound!!

I'm kicking myself!! Why didn't I jus buy a 2nd hand box!!! Has any one else had this problem??

Hi all.. I've just spent £1300 on my 6 speed box.. 595 Inc vat just on the centre diff.. 

It started about a month ago a lil knocking sound when at low speed and dropping revs.. then got a lot louder.. when I sent it to get repaired the problem was the diff as it had bits of mental hanging out from it..

2 weeks later.. as the box was out I dropped in a lightweight flywheel and new stage 2 clutch.. Over the moon as the car was ready 2 collect!!

So as I drove it out of the garage I could still hear the same light knocking sound!!

I'm kicking myself!! Why didn't I jus buy a 2nd hand box!!! Has any one else had this problem??