Lw pulley wheels

Exup1000

Hello,

I've posted in the legacy section but it's a bit lonely in there, miggs did find me so thanks for that. What I want to know is, do Subaru's have any vibration issues from fitting a light weight pulley wheel

I fitted a billet one to my Classic and apart from having to get different belts as the pully is smaller than OE It was fine. never had any vibration issues.

Although after a few years on mine the cut out for the key from the crankshaft wore away and the pully went a bit wonkey and started to rub away the cam belt cover.

TBH the gains you make are infinitesimal, it just looks nice with a bit of bling. You'd really only need lightweight pulleys if you were building a race engine and every gramm counts.

My original one fel off last night,thats why I'm looking into the differences. Just been out and looked at the car in day light and the woodruff key is mis shapen now but the slot is fine.i know some people put a lw pulley on so they don't have to change the woodruff but I'm not a bodger

it was the woodruf on the pulley that got chewed up on mine. So the opposite of what you have, IF the woddruff on the crank has gone I dont know what to do in that case, I dare say Miggs will pop along with a solultion.

• Like 1

No no i must of explained myself wrong,the woodruff on the crank is ok, and the pulley wheel has worn away its woodruff slot . I meant the end of the key is worn which I can replace. I'll post a picture.

Ahh OK it was the same as mine then it was the pully that was knackered. I never had any Vibration issues, but with the lighter pullies being ally they are not as strong as the OE ones so the same thing is more likley to happen, in my opinion.

i have a set of standard pulleys in the garage somewhere, if you get me a pic of the exact pulley your after i will go compare them, i should know but they all got removed and randomly placed around the garage and without taking my belt covers off i'm not sure which is which lol

you can have it for the cost of the postage pal

• Like 1

dig a bit deeper, it is true lol, not had chance to look yet as the garage door makes a racket when it opens and the wifes in bed from being on a night shift, she's up at dinner time so will have a gander for it then ;)

Ahhh that's better, I'll get a box or something for it and get it weighed to get a rough price for post, I'm thinking courier might be cheaper but I'll get both post office and courier quotes and let you know

I honestly can't thank you enough.im not worried about cost, what Evers quickest.i'll inbox you my address and were sort out bank details and I'll do an instant transfer to you.ive found a subaru garage near me and managed to get a new crank bolt with a new woodruff key as well.

It's cool,my original ones fine but obviously it's be torqued so I can't re use it.im pretty sure torque setting for this bolt is 110 (also read 125) but will double check with the dude I'm meeting tomorrow who's in the knowing.

Just out of curiosity, what are you doing with other pulley wheels as I noticed after removing the aux cover mine look like they've seen better days.

I think it will be courier  only that I had to post some stuff to Greece the other day and the woman was telling they have changed what you can send via Snail mail now. I did ask if I could post alcohol and narcotics. She said that's on the list of stuff you can't send via post. I said back to her whats the point in living.. 

• Like 2

Right, Iwent out to remove the pulley ffrom the crank and had a lovely neighbourly dispute about land, so while I was arguing I fired up the compressor and took the pulley off, I then wrapped it with the bolt and woodruff key for you, I have just seen this post and thought bugger, could've boxed em all lol, I don't know if the cam pulleys will be any good as 1 they are from an 8v so not as many and 2 not sure if they will be the right size, I'm more than happy to send what I have to you if you want to try them against yours

As for the bolt, it doesn't look like a stretch bolt so should be fine to re use, the engine these parts came off was a non turbo with 90k on the clock so not so much power going through and minimal milage so should be next to new condition wise

Let me know what you want me to do, I have boxes coming out of my ears and all the time in the world to sort it as I don't work and have only 1 car to detail this weekend so it's no bother to re box it all up for you, the crank pulley, bolt and woodruff key weigh roughly 3kgs, I'd say 4 as not sure how accurate my scales are and I think 7.5 and less is all the same price dependant on size of the package, I've sent 40kg parcels for £15 in the past with the courier I use so it won't be astronomically expensive, the other wheels are quite light in comparison to what's boxed already

Miggs,if you wouldn't mind putting the other wheels in as we'll, I'd really appreciate it.and we're sort out p&p through pm ing each other ( that's not a youthanism gambit ! ) once again miggs a massive MASSIVE thank you.if I'm ever your way or you mine, there be a beer with your name on it. Hopefully we're meet up a club meet at some point !

• Like 3

Will do bud, I got ya pm and will let you know prices as soon as I get em, I think couriers gonna be best but we'll see, I'll get it all boxed and shizzle tomorrow, as for beer, it's a kind offer but it'll have to be coke for me mate, I'm not a drinker I'm afraid, we will meet up one day, somehow someway lol