Spare battery to run audio

Hi there, i have been thinking about getting a spare Battery to put in the boot to run my sub, amp/6x9's and my neons but while running these things, im not sure how long the Battery will last before it dies, unless people know of a way of connecting it to the main car Battery to help charge it up??

If it would last ages without being charged up then im not too fussed about charging it :/ :)

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

I used to run a 2.5 k sound system with 1 smaller amp for the 4 door speakers and this bad boy bridged and connected to a vibe space 2k 12" sub

Photo0305.jpg

I used a "capacitor " which is a smaller Battery that fits inline on the amp power cables to stop power drain .

Probably wouldn't run the system on its own but it did stop the headlights dimming when the bass kicked in [emoji4]

So with the split charging, how would that work?? Ive got a 1800 Watt Vibe Blackdeath sub and Black death 6x9's at 1200 watts total and i was also thinking about getting a power cap. My neons aint just a cheap set from eBay. When left on for a while, i can tell its drained the Battery a little bit.

post-4173-144101367354_thumb.jpg

Whole under body kit, 2 interior lights and a scanner at the front.

If you intend on leaving the sound system and audio on while the engines not running , maybe a "leasure" Battery (the sort that's used for camping/caravan use) might be useful.

My brv inlaw uses one to power a TV and lighting in his bivvy when he goes on 4 day fishing trips ,he just charges it before he goes and it lasts all weekend?

A proper split charge system should have a controller to monitor Battery voltage to prevent the main Battery draining totally. Looking at the specs a 2x 100w rms 2 channel, and a 500w rms mono amp would be sufficient to drive these hard. That's not a huge amount of juice, just upgrade the main Battery with the biggest you can fit. I've ran bigger systems in the past off standard charging arrangements.

Don't get drawn into 'peak' wattage figures, it's the rms figures that count and that you'd use to calculate current supply

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hmm...i woukd like the idea of a spare to run these things but then again i dont want to fork out the money for it haha. Might just put some money asside and upgrade my main Battery. I did that with my last car (had to get a new Battery anyhow cause it was didnt work) but i didnt run as much stuff.

My plan is to get a couple more amps to run the 4 door speakers and to run the other 2 speakers on the parcel shelf bit.

But now thinking, its more for my neons. Might sound daft. Im starting to go to quite a few car meets/ shows now a days and obviously im not ganna keep my car running when looking around. Im not sure what power they use but id say after a couple of hours the Battery would have drained quite a bit.

Get a deep cycle Battery as they take heavy discharge and it doesn't really affect their ability to be recharged, some batteries don't like heavy drains and can damage the plates. You can probably get a voltage regulator to cut supply if Battery drain gets too much. Or chuck a small Battery in the footwell for an emergency get you home to chuck on if you do kill the main!

Plus a decent second Battery set up would add weight but if you've got a reasonable install then performance won't be a priority anyway.

The best set ups are simple, 6x9s in a rear shelf and subs can often not be a good idea. Putting them in the front doors in custom pods would be amazing.

A pair of well driven front components and sub(s) is all you need to turn heads and hurt ears. I spent a lot of my youth doing installs, and still have books on the subject down to the fine dynamics which is beyond me and you need a friggin degree to understand!

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Marty and Savage have covered it - if you are running that amount of audio equipment I would go for a split charge and additional Battery as it means you are not constantly having a full load going from the front of the car to the rear down your main cable a capacitor stores a charge and discharges to 'top up' when needed.

what is the wattage rating of you Neons you can work out an approximate discharge time from there.

I cant see you getting away from spending some money though with what you describe you want to achieve

Might take the small batery idea up but only hook it up to my neons at meets (Y) Yeah, if i had enough money i would love to have a custon boot build and pods in the doors.

Jay. Im not 100% sure what wattage they are :/ ive got IceLed UFO lights and a few other little bits of theirs. It might say on their site. It might just be in my head that they cause a slight drain though.

• 2 weeks later...

Its funny cuase the other day i was at a car meet and someone sorted my audio out a bit so it doesnt distort as easily. So i cranked up the volume and when i was about to leave the meet, the car wouldnt start (n) haha. Wasnt even playing the music for that long either.