Jay762

Hi all,

right so I am new to the whole scooby experience and dont know what to expect with certain things being the norm or not.

After two weeks Im still smiling wrt the engine performance but I am not particularly impressed with the brakes - there seems to be very little feel when initially applying the pedal and if you want to pull up sharpish you really have to stand on them.

I thought initially it was stuck pistons (previous owner had it stood for a bit) so I had all the calipers off, gave a good clean, checked the pads for uneven wear and ensured all pistons came out when the pedal was pumped - all ok.

There was no name on the front pads but there are Brembo pads ftted to the rears.

My next line of approach is to replace the pads with EBC red or yellow items (used green before and been happy with those) and or fit braided lines.

Am I to expect any difference or do scoobies generally have a wooden feel and it is something I should adapt to? :huh:

cheers

J

Both Subaru's I have at home feel the same. So I think it's normal, but giving them a change will not do any harm for own piece of mind.Saying that I don't notice it now. I had a problem on the Bugeye, I was track daying I over took another car and I really had to stamp on the break for the next corner, and they soon faded away to the point I just made the corner with the help of gearing down. So I will be replacing all four on mine very soon, but they look like there is plenty of life left in them :( But I have not changed them since I had her so might have been cheap when I bought the car to replace the original's.

And I'm sure your front calipers should have been Brembo, the same as the back. But some will say STI on the front.

Hi Gambit - thanks for that, think pads at least are way to go initially. sorry I wasnt clear in my description, all calipers are STI branded Brembo's there is a small 'B' logo in the casting - it was the pads I meant - the chap I had it off had had a service and I believe that was done with an economical view as the mechanic very helpfully ditched the K&N panel filter for an unbranded substitute - he changed the front pads at the same time probably with the same approach :rolleyes:

Oh ok you had me worried about your car there lol, I thought you ment your front calipers was off like a WRX or something like with no marking's :D No problem I just read back my fault I miss read the post :D

And that's what I would do change the pads even if you just do the front's I would also do Disc's as well but that's me but I can't see what your's look like so you would be best to judge more then me.

I just know on mine I'm going to do all four disc's and pads after what I said last time. My !Removed! was like a rabbit's nose after :D And made me fear for my life at every corner after :)

But I guess that's what happens with the cheaper disc's and pads under one hard breaking corner :(

My !Removed! was like a rabbit's nose after :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup you do need to have confidence in the brakes, the discs look to be in good condition on the front, some mild scoring on the rears - would like to try the floating discs I have seen but that will have to wait a bit until funds become available, the more ideas I get the longer the shopping list :blink: :P

I don't think I could have put

the more ideas I get the longer the shopping list :blink: :P

better myself :D I'm so happy I've found someone who share's my downfall ;)

And I agree with these car's you need to know you can stop when you want to :D