2005 X d2.0 drivers window

tall_tog

Had an issue with this window since i bought the car in may, sometimes after pressing the switch there would be a delay before the window went down, sometimes it wouldnt go down without pressing switch a couple of times.

Sods law whilst away on holiday last week, it just stopped working.

The switch clicks still as if the window is going down but isn't.

Have googled this and by all accounts changing the regulator isn't for the feint hearted.

Given the switch unit is a circuit board , is there a way to test the switch and the motor to make sure it is the motor before i buy a replacement?

i was thinking i would identify the wiring going to the regulator motor and try and test them when the switch was activated?

any other/better suggestions welcome!

thanks

Take door card off & have a look, test feed & earth to motor.

I find more motor or regulator faults due to wear or moisture damage over switch, relay or wiring.

You can get a pattern part motor assembly for these should sourcing used becomes tricky although pattern part not well distributed in uk . It not that hard to remove & only a few screws .

• 4 weeks later...

finally sourced a replacement motor - old one completely burnt out and surprised it hadn't gone on fire!

Anyone thinking of doing this , allow a good couple of hours , its a sod of a job!

everything has to come off the door and the glass is bolted through as well !

anyway, 

the white plug that connects to the switch panel has some loose pins and i still have connection problems to the drivers window.

What  is the best way to firm up the connections within the white plug please?

• 9 months later...

If just motor get motor but do check mech runs nicely & not worn & lubricate it a bit to give smoother operation & motor less load .

Changing just motor is easier as can just remove 3 philips head nuts internally with decent philips bit in a bit ratchet spanner, remove 4 motor bolts & loosen other fixings so motor can be wiggled out, pulling whole lot means glass coming out .

34 minutes ago, Mr B said:

If just motor get motor but do check mech runs nicely & not worn & lubricate it a bit to give smoother operation & motor less load .

Changing just motor is easier as can just remove 3 philips head nuts internally with decent philips bit in a bit ratchet spanner, remove 4 motor bolts & loosen other fixings so motor can be wiggled out, pulling whole lot means glass coming out .

Great. Can I use Impreza window motor (2002 - 2008)?