Possible coolant leak

Cdmh

Im after a bit of help here :)

I checked the coolant up when i picked up the car  and noticed the syphon tank was low , ive topped this up along with both the radiator and the top tank , there is a smell of coolant after the car has been running however everywhere seems to be dry and the top rad hose stays firm for a while , i checked the level again tonight in the syphon tank and it had dropped .

There are possibly two issues going on here , one the car has had its coolant changed and it has not been bled properly , the other is there are a couple of drops around the radiator cap on the rad itself 

Firstly the bleeding issue , i noticed the fan kicks in and out whilst idling on the drive (aircon is off so its not this ) is the procedure for bleeding the same as most cars with this bleed off system ie remove pressure cap and let idle until the air has disapated ? if so which cap needs removing , rad cap or one up on top of engine .

As for the radiator cap any decent suppliers that i can get one from , dont want to risk an eBay knock off job , also are there any known weak links around the cooling system that i could look for , smell is strongest around the radiator itself  

Car is a WRX Hawekeye for reference 

Cheers 

Craig :)

Hello, they are a hit of a pain to bleed, easiest way is to lift front end slightly, turn heaters on, run engine with rad cap off and massage the bottom hose, easier with two people as one can watch for air being expelled and top up header if needed, when you think you have all air out pop expansion bottle cap on and let cool, check levels a good few hours later,make sure the overflow is between the two lines on and header & rad are full,

I'm assuming you have a header tank not seen a hawk bay recently,

If it's the oem subaru rads they have plastic end tanks that crack they are rubbish ! Also check the hoses coming from the header to turbo, sometimes they work loose and you get a bit of leakage

Cheers fella , top tips

There are the three levels to check , tank up on top of the engine , the radiator itself and the syphon/header tank .

Checked the levels tonight and both the top tank and radiator are both full  , the syphon tank is at max so will keep an eye on them over the weekend , first chance i will have had in the daylight , im still not convinced on the pressure cap on top of the radiator so will source a new one

Thankyou

Ahh ok , makes more sense , it's up to the full line on the tank , what I did notice when I dropped the wife off tonight was spots of coolant on top of the fan cowlings , slam panel and around the radiator cap , which points to that , the cap on that is round without the wings , does a winged one fit as long as the pressure rating is the same ?

Sorry for all the questions but coolant leaks are one of my pet hates

Cheers

Check your top rad hose for tiny splits that only leak under pressure. Possibly around the Jubilee clip too. Couple of local lads in newages have had those hoses go weak and split. Duct tape to get you home [emoji12] I had a rad leak that was only visible at 3k rpm. Can someone blip the throttle for you?