Steam coming out of the hood :(

Martin959

Hello guys! :D 

I have the scooby that after driving it for a while, when I stop it a little bit fo steam comes from between the fans of the radiator and the engine... I know its water from the radiator, but dont know where is it coming from... And just came from changing the water, thermostate and a whole flush... but still have the same issue...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!! :D

Put some K-Seal in it first off and see if you get a result.  I have personally used this on 2 occasions with success.  If it doesnt work, you haven't lost much.  I will work its way round the whole system.  

Also check the hoses around the area.  It could be a tiny pinhole spraying barely noticeably, had that on too  :(

Some things to start with anyway.

• Like 1

I was chasing a leak on my classic and was told to steer clear of using those types of radweld products with water cooled turbo's, they can gum up the coolant galleries in the turbo, causing ongoing issues further down the line.

Silly question, have you checked everything was tightened back up after the coolant flush/change?

• Like 1

Interesting point. I used it on the Leggy not long after having it as coolant was slowly dropping and there was nothing to speak of when the radiator and primary t were swapped recently so not had that issue personally. I can see people chucking in twice the amount thinking, it will do a better job and funnily enough having issues with an engine that may not of been service for years either.

If theres any doubt dont do it though!

• Like 2

Hole in radiator?

Nope :P Radiator is new... bought a generic one for 60 pounds... not big deal, but it does the job... changed the thermostat for one that even opens 10 degrees before the normal one... and i can see the changes... the car runs cooler... But I still get the steam... :(

I was chasing a leak on my classic and was told to steer clear of using those types of radweld products with water cooled turbo's, they can gum up the coolant galleries in the turbo, causing ongoing issues further down the line.

Silly question, have you checked everything was tightened back up after the coolant flush/change?

I didn't, since I don't have a garage from my own... I take it to a mechanic :P

Maybe what it would make sense would be to change the rubber pipes... as he said, maybe is a tiny hole on it... 

On the other hand, its not actually big deal, since the car temperature now with the new thermostat is even cooler :D (quite recommended the thermostat from Mishimoto)

Just below the thermostat is water... thats why i tough it could be the thermostat... but apparently is not... 

• Like 1