Hatchback Diff and Gearbox servicing

tommo5600

Drain plugs should be the big Allen nut or standard shape nut, cant exactly remember, on the bottom of the box, and the lower one of the two holes on the diff as you look at the rear of the car, the top is to refill, i'd make sure they both undo as you don't want to be stuck with an oil less diff,

So crack the plugs off the diff and gearbox let drain, pop the lower of the diff plugs back on then fill diff with 75/90 gear oil of your choice until it comes out of the top hole, this is the level line so pop plug in hole job done, as for the gearbox refill this is the fun part, you'll need a funnel and some tubing to make life easier, fill up with your choice of oil

Look between the intercooler and turbo and you'll see the oil box dipstick, this also doubles up as the fill hole,

Drain plugs should be the big Allen nut or standard shape nut, cant exactly remember, on the bottom of the box, and the lower one of the two holes on the diff as you look at the rear of the car, the top is to refill, i'd make sure they both undo as you don't want to be stuck with an oil less diff,

So crack the plugs off the diff and gearbox let drain, pop the lower of the diff plugs back on then fill diff with 75/90 gear oil of your choice until it comes out of the top hole, this is the level line so pop plug in hole job done, as for the gearbox refill this is the fun part, you'll need a funnel and some tubing to make life easier, fill up with your choice of oil

Look between the intercooler and turbo and you'll see the oil box dipstick, this also doubles up as the fill hole,

thats helpful thanks but the only issue is i dont have a dipstick.....

There is a dipstick / couple of them , one closer to radiator and one further back as described,

The circle is the front one.

The right hand side is where is is on my auto hatch look below intercooler

The left side arrow on picture Im pretty sure is where yours is on the turbo model either way have a look under teh intercooler at teh transmission tunnel / gear box and you should see it

!Removed! site - wont let me post a jpg!!!

• Like 1

I may be wrong, .....but i don't think there is a gearbox dipstick on the STI ( if thats what you have ).

I had a wrx hatch up to a fortnight ago, and that did have one, but i now have the STI model, and it certainly isn't where it was on my other car.

yeah your right there is no dipstick on the STI now, there is by all accounts a level plug on the other side so i'll have a look today then do a little write up with some pictures. 

but having now changed the  gearbox oil she feel loads better!

• Like 1