Starting issues- have to relock car before it starts

lushusness

Hi everyone.  Just bought a Subaru Legacy R Spec B estate.  2006.  If I unlock the car then try to start it, nothing happens.  I have to re-lock the car then try to start again and this time it's on the button.  Is it to do with the immobiliser?  Am I NOT doing something?  Grateful for any answers.

How long between unlocking the car and trying to start? If more than 20-30 seconds, the immobiliser kicks in. The key should have a small button - pressing this with the ignition keyy in the start position (gauge lights on) should override the immod and the car will start. There should be a small red LED on top of the steering column - if that LED is on, the car (on ignition) should start. If it's off, pushing the little button (on key) should illuminate the LED indicating the car is ready to start. 

• Like 2

Both keys are the same so unlikely.  TBH we're learning every day.  Despite owning tens of different vehicles over the years, MGs, Toyotas, Mercs, Humbers, buses, ambulances (yeah really!) this is the most complicated we've ever had.  Maybe that's because of the double locking system.  Tried to play with the navigation today and failed miserably- although it was a good map of where we were! Ha!  I'll have to read up on that too.  I'm sure we'll get there gradually- but your initial assistance helped enormously.  Thanks again.