What did i do?

kayzarh

Lined the cambelt up, did some manual turns and all was good in terms of alignment; proceeded to bolt everything back up. once the pulley was on, i did some manual turns and heard air coming out of the spark plug sockets (no sparks installed), this did not happen before when i was doing manual turns (no spark plugs + old belt)

I hand tightened the spark plugs in and could no longer turn the engine easily, I managed to use some force and move it a little and a loud woosh came out the spark plug sockets, putting the 16mm deep socket in i noticed the spark plug loosened up and the engine was slightly easier to turn.

Is this normal or did i screw something up?

I,m no expert but it obviously built up some compression when you turned it and then vented through spark plug area,if spark plugs had been  removed at the time compression wouldn't build up shouldn't have caused a problem...hopefully a more knowledgeable member will help out...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scooby1972 said:

I,m no expert but it obviously built up some compression when you turned it and then vented through spark plug area,if spark plugs had been  removed at the time compression wouldn't build up shouldn't have caused a problem...hopefully a more knowledgeable member will help out...

so you reckon they came loose because they were only hand tightened?

If you turn a engine over without any spark plugs in the bore is open so on the "compression" stroke it can't compress (easy to turn over).

With the plugs in tight it will be compressing to a 8.5.1 ratio (more difficult to turn over by hand)

If the plugs are only hand tight it will start to compress but when it reaches a certain pressure it can blow by the loose plugs (making a shhhh noise) [emoji6]

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

• Like 1

If you turn a engine over without any spark plugs in the bore is open so on the "compression" stroke it can't compress (easy to turn over).

With the plugs in tight it will be compressing to a 8.5.1 ratio (more difficult to turn over by hand)

If the plugs are only hand tight it will start to compress but when it reaches a certain pressure it can blow by the loose plugs (making a shhhh noise) [emoji6]

So everything is okay I didn't screw up?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yeah it sounds like it's ok but I wouldn't make a habit of turning the engine over without any plugs in (unless you're in a clean environment ) as it can suck debris into the bore .

When I got the car (came with no sparks) and I turned by hand no woosh was coming, why is the woosh coming now ?

You probably wouldn't hear the air escaping from the big empty spark plug hole but you would hear the shhhh as it squeezes out of the tiny gap around a loose plug at part compression (higher pressure )

Maybe ?

Yeh that's the thing before it had no spark it it and couldn't hear a woosh when turned

Now, without plugs it wooshes and with it wooshes like pooosh[emoji23] and then comes loose.

Tighten your plugs up properly and see if it still does it when you turn it over by hand . If you're confident it's timed up properly and you've got a inlet on it, You can pull the crank sensor plug off (to stop it starting) and turn it over with the ignition key [emoji6]

Tighten your plugs up properly and see if it still does it when you turn it over by hand . If you're confident it's timed up properly and you've got a inlet on it, You can pull the crank sensor plug off (to stop it starting) and turn it over with the ignition key [emoji6]

Oh I brought a non-runner like !Removed! :D