More power from a sport

Hi, I have a 99 impreza wagon none turbo, I have a replacment engine waiting to go in, however before I do how can I get more power from it without spending silly money, and yes I wish I had brought a turbo but I'm stuck with this now so wanna squeze as much out without going stupid money as when it comes to sell time I don't wanna loose to much money..

thanks in advance

• Like 1

As posted engine performance gains will be limited - spend money on chassis and brakes, shed as much weight from the car as you can to improve the power to weight ratio this should enable you to carry higher corner speeds etc

One thing the sport lacks over the turbo, bar the obvious, is rear disc brakes and rear anti roll bar, these additions would make a good upgrade, also if you upgrade the front calipers and discs to those off a bug eye wrx you will gain 4 pots, I've done this upgrade on my 97 turbo and it's quite an improvement, also look into a brake flex stopper, tegiwa make them as do other companies, again a cheap but worthwhile upgrade

The better brake force you have the later you can brake into a corner thus carrying more speed into, plus you slow quicker so can get on the power sooner too

A flex stopper stops the servo from flexing on the bulkhead when you hit the brake pedal, subies are made with thin metal so the bulkhead moves considerably when braking, a percentage of your pressing the pedal is lost through the flex, a stopper shouldn't cost more than £50 and you will be very pleased with the difference

change the spark plugs and ht leads and poly bush as much as you can afford. As said turbo is the way forward for power but when racing a turbo have the upper hand. Talk about limitations. Race until the tank is empty I bet you win every time :D  ;). I had 8mm ht leads and spitfire 4 plugs and did feel a bit of a gain but I also had a filter and exhaust. I poly the back bars. Just remember what you drive and allow the turbo's to go and say you won't do that when I get my turbo

• Like 1

I have done a conversion from a non turbo to turbo myself and it does involve a lot of work, if need be I can give you a hand verbally on how to go about doing it. It's easy enough you you do everything in order. I have everything you need here, accept from a wiring loom which you will need to change.

yeah been having a read up and the hard part is the running gear, so pretty simple to do, but can't do a turbo conversion due to funds, found out I'm having a baby so funds are now.limeted should have the cash to put the new engine in do the brakes, get induction sorted and maybe get some better suspension depending on price but everything else is gonna have to either wait or be done slowly, good thing is I've got this car for at least a year so plenty of time to play with it lol

Wow well Congratulations on the baby hope all goes well. So on that note I think turbo and break's conversion you have to think about safety and sensibility first.....

It's ok I put that incase your Missus was reading over the shoulder (Quick check)  ;) 

Ok so if it's safe read on :) 

1st of all build a list of things you need like bigger turbo full through injectors if we can help we will. If all else fails just come here and look at this 

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/1710-subaru-body-paint/