diesel legacy

Ro

Hi,

I am looking at buying a Subaru Legacy Diesel from 2008.

Are they reliable?

I see most of the people go for the petrol models.

Any advice on diesel engines?

I fancy a diesel because I plan a lot of EU traveling, and thinking I'll save on the fuel cost.

Any advice pro or cons for this  diesel engine?

Thanks,

Hello & welcome,There's some well documented problems with the early diesel, dpf and glow plugs seem to cause issues, I suspect if your doing big mileages the dpf won't be a worry but I'd check if the plugs have been changed

11 hours ago, AJ said:

Hi I've owned  a 2008 D AWD one for about a year now and do a lot of mileage, I'm really impressed with it and to date haven't had any issues

Thanks for reply,

This weekend I've been to see a Subaru diesel from 2008, with 70000 miles on it.

I did like the car, just one niggle.

Engine started easy from very cold, and run nice and smooth for just about 2 -3 minutes (didn't move the car), but after that the engine started having a rough idle (just like that, standing there and having a look around the car, not moving it at all).

It didn't feel like a misfire, but more like some pistons got more fuel injected than others; ..... it was like someone was constantly playing with the acceleration pedal at a constant rhythm.

I've read online about this and there are different opinions: worst is the dual-mass flywheel, and easiest to fix was reported as just an injector (or more) slightly clogged up, in which case that person just run an injection cleaner fluid through the system for about 2000 miles and then the fault disappeared by itself.

I didn't even ask the seller about this fault, as I know everyone selling will tell you anything, just to make you buy it.

But the seller was claiming the engine is a later design. I didn't argue but I'd like to know how can I know the difference between a later and an earlier diesel?

Regards

I've heard a lot of bad things about subaru's diesel engines and heard of many cases where the engines need to be rebuilt at the cost of a few grand. Even on never model outbacks with engines with relatively low mileages. So I'd certainly make sure that you do your research before buying.

Saying that I'm sure there are plenty of diesel owners that haven't had any issues at all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just for future reference, the rough idle could be the normal recalibration routine that these DERVs do every so often. I was concerned when mine started it doing it, but a Subaru mechanic mentioned the recalibration. Next time it happened I left it alone for a few minutes and it smoothed out to better than it was before.

Of course, it might not have been that...