Bye bye WRX hello Legacy Turbo

xxxmike

Good morning all, 

Looking for a Legacy turbo or twin turbo soon as i sold my Impreza and regret it but need something bigger. 

Owned a Legacy GTB twin turbo (a '94) years ago and thought it was pretty good. 

Now i am deciding where to put my money and need some help. I dont know a huge amount about the newer ones. 

I definitely need a turbo, twin or twin scroll. I see the newer facelift ones come as a twin scroll turbo. I did remember the difference of when my old GTB went from one turbo to the other and know the twin scoll doesnt do that. 

I have a few questions and can see someone wrote a question in the legacy part but its not been answered so asking here hoping to get some advice. 

How much is different between the two, like a 2000 reg  twin turbo or the newer spec twin scroll. I would like a manual but is the tiptroic on the newer one any good on the auto? I see the auto is detuned by 20bhp too. I would want to remap it and i heard you cant remap the older ones you need to by a new ECU or something? What sort of power are you getting from a mapped newer one about 300-320bhp? 

thanks guys

Welcome,

So from 1999 up to and including 2003 you will get a BH5 twin turbo GTB Gen3.  Later years will be the E Tune but not a lot difference.  These are your twin turbo, sequential so like your old one wouldve been, primary turbo till around 4-4.5K then secondary until the world ends. 

They can be mapped to around 315 bhp on standard engine by tuners like BR Developments.  There is a home mod that you can do which I am literally just in the swings of trying now but waiting to get it on the rollers on Thursday to see if its safe. 

Manual would be better for sure but people do seem to like the tiptronic, suppose this comes down to preference really.  No issues with either as far as I know.  Yes manual is more stock power 280bhp, 260bhp for the autos.

After the BH range you go to BP Twinscroll Gen4.  This is a conventional single turbo set up.  Twinscroll refers to the type of turbo.  Sort of like having 2 turbos in one if you will. Much more efficient.

On stock mechanics you can get 320 bhp from them I believe. 

In short, if you have the monies get a Twinscroll.  A BH5 is lovely when it runs right but up keep is more key and they are sensitive.  You will spend a lot more time fiddling :laugh: 

• Like 2

Thank you so much, that's exactly the info i was looking for. 

Does anyone know why the auto was detuned? Mapping it to 310-320bhp like a manual...... is that safe to do with the tip tronic auto boxes? 

My old GTB was a manual so never really used an auto before. I've got a discovery auto but thats opposite end of the scale. Do they change gear quickly. 

Also is it only the Gen4  BP ones that have the paddle shifters on the steering wheel?

Thanks 

The autos are meant to be very good while shifting but you cant launch it hard :sad: .  You loose most of the VOD though which is nice so going up the gears maintaining boost would be good.  I would certainly be tempted to have an auto but I have a Jag so hence why I went manual.

They are not as tolerable to sustained power, lacking a trans cooler I think.  If you wanted 315ish bhp it would be strongly recommended to add a cooler.

Yes the BP have flappy paddles. 

Thanks Geoff, need to find a nice one for sale near me now. 

The importers i have seen that have nice ones up for same seem to be a fair few hours drive away. 

What sort of miles to the tank you get and how much to fill her up. I am used to not great mpg as ive got a Discovery TD5 auto at the moment returning 23mpg on mixed duel carriageway and country lane driving. 

Yeah thats the only thing, you might have to wait a while as they are not massively common.  

Haha no idea mate, not something I really pay any attention to, sorry.  I dont think wow thats really bad fuel economy though!  I get very roughly 250 miles to a tank but my drives are fairly short so economy isnt great.  When I get a run its not bad to be fair. 

• 3 years later...
On 2/15/2016 at 4:32 PM, GeoffLeggy said:

The autos are meant to be very good while shifting but you cant launch it hard :sad: .  You loose most of the VOD though which is nice so going up the gears maintaining boost would be good.  I would certainly be tempted to have an auto but I have a Jag so hence why I went manual.

They are not as tolerable to sustained power, lacking a trans cooler I think.  If you wanted 315ish bhp it would be strongly recommended to add a cooler.

Yes the BP have flappy paddles. 

I thought every auto subaru has a cooler - it's in the radiator, you just don't know about it -) The wouldn't last long if they didn't have a cooler, but an additional cooler can be fitted for sure.

Depends on what is defined as 'cooler' My auto rx has oil pipes that run to a small modine heat exchanger which does some cooling but I wouldnt call it a cooler. The manual states if the car is to be used for towing a cooler should be installed as it will over heat - by that I interpret to be a multi row goodridge or secal mini radiator type affair that has oil to air flow