water loss, on 2.5 sti

Bikeboy16

Just looking for any advice, tips or suggestions.

I have a 2008 StI hatchback. I don't do many miles in it, as it's a second car so only maybe weekend use, and one local drive in the week.

I have noticed the water level in the expansion tank drops quite often after use, not drastically but often a couple of centimetres at a time. It's not every time, but as i said, quite often.

The odd thing is, it seems to happen more after short journeys, whereas i did a longer trip the other day, around 150 miles and it didn't move at all !

The temperature gauge stays around halfway as it always has, and has never fluctuated in either direction.

I have done all the usual checks myself, and can find no obvious leaks, it doesn't use oil to any extent, there is no sign of water in the oil or vice versa.

I have been to a local subaru dealer, who did a pressure test to check the head gaskets, and found nothing wrong, so where is it going ?

I convinced myself it was head gasket, and obviously still think it could be, but the dealer thinks not so who am i to argue !

What do you think ?

mine, on cold... (ie:after few few days - cold) is half way in the bottle, I've put a marker pen mark against the water line)

when engine is hot, obviously the water is higher up in the bottle (expansion)

some times its a little below the line  by a few mm. 

Keep your eye on it, I'd be more worried if you loose the bottle after drive,  

Hi bikeboy. Just like I had. It's probably ta small leak in the radiator or heater matrix. I put in some K-Seal and no more water loss. Water temperature just the same.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Had the same thing turned out to be a very small leak at bottom of radiator but after a drive engine heat would dry it up so you couldn't see it....spotted it by accident when I only drove a short distance then jacked car up and had a good look round when doing another job😂

Thanks for the replies, so far more positive than i was expecting. I thought it was all going to be telling me blown head gasket stories !!

Think i will try another good look around, and possibly some k-seal .

Thanks for that Linx, luckily i got the right one then !

I've put it in and taken it for a spin to circulate it, but not had chance to drive enough to see any results yet. Hopefully over the weekend i'll find out, lets just hope its the one i want, fingers crossed.

On 16 April 2016 at 6:15 PM, Bikeboy16 said:

Just looking for any advice, tips or suggestions.

I have a 2008 StI hatchback. I don't do many miles in it, as it's a second car so only maybe weekend use, and one local drive in the week.

I have noticed the water level in the expansion tank drops quite often after use, not drastically but often a couple of centimetres at a time. It's not every time, but as i said, quite often.

The odd thing is, it seems to happen more after short journeys, whereas i did a longer trip the other day, around 150 miles and it didn't move at all !

The temperature gauge stays around halfway as it always has, and has never fluctuated in either direction.

I have done all the usual checks myself, and can find no obvious leaks, it doesn't use oil to any extent, there is no sign of water in the oil or vice versa.

I have been to a local subaru dealer, who did a pressure test to check the head gaskets, and found nothing wrong, so where is it going ?

I convinced myself it was head gasket, and obviously still think it could be, but the dealer thinks not so who am i to argue !

What do you think ?

Check your seals on the header mate if its cracked or perished get it replaced asap i was losing coolant and it was to late b4 i realised it was comimg out through header only when under preasure got air in system blew top hose hg had gone but no obvious signs.2009 wrx hatch