Turbo/intake noise - is this normal?

Yashicamat

Hi

apologies if this has been asked before, I did do a search but couldn't find anything conclusive. I've just bought a 2.5XT Forester auto and it's a fab machine, however for someone who is alien to petrol turbos (had loads of diesels) the noise under full throttle seems rather excessive? A loud whooshing/air sound which almost completely drowns out the (stock) exhaust. As far as I'm aware, the car isn't modified at all. The car drives perfectly, pulls strongly noise is directly proportional to turbo boost seemingly. Is this the norm for this engine/car?

cheers

Rob

If the heat shield has been removed you'd hear some extra noise but not that much, maybe worth looking at the hoses that connect the cooler to the turbo and intake, could be a split in the pipework, does it pull OK when on boost ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. It pulls very strongly and isn't throwing any error codes. The sound is similar to this clip (not my car) although wind noise obviously becomes prominent in this clip much beyond that speed. Compared to other clips on YouTube where the engine noise is almost the only noise you can here (plus a little turbo whistle) but I don't know if that's the camera capturing ability not giving a true reflection

https://youtu.be/q74GuUhQYkw

Thanks

Rob

Note edited with a different clip!