Impreza 05 Power Steering Problem!

Right im having a problem with my '05 sti widetrack and wondering if any of you guys have experienced this yourselves

The power steering works fine normal driving. Works fine when stopped lock to lock. Work fine general fast road. No odd noises.

The moment i step out on track and really start loading the steering up BAM no power steering what so ever. It just simply turns itself off after a given load is applied to it and once the load is less than that it comes back.

Its becoming rather annoying and im not sure what it is. The fluids the correct level and the belt has recently been changed. 

Any ideas?

On 26/06/2016 at 5:07 PM, Steven252 said:

Right im having a problem with my '05 sti widetrack and wondering if any of you guys have experienced this yourselves

The power steering works fine normal driving. Works fine when stopped lock to lock. Work fine general fast road. No odd noises.

The moment i step out on track and really start loading the steering up BAM no power steering what so ever. It just simply turns itself off after a given load is applied to it and once the load is less than that it comes back.

Its becoming rather annoying and im not sure what it is. The fluids the correct level and the belt has recently been changed. 

Any ideas?

what colour is the fluid ? if it uses dexron fluids it should be ribena strawberry red :) id give it a proper flush by jacking it up and removing one of the lower pressure return lines then lock to lock till every drop is out of the sucker :P

Yeah its cherry red and doesnt smell off or anything. Ordered some fuchs titan 5005 fluid as it was recomended by Opie Oils for the car seeing track use. Will give that a whirl over the weekend and see if its any better the next time i venture out

I just had an odd experience with a Gates belt on mine, fine one min, non the next really off, swapped the 3 month old belt for a cheap one(tenner) from Pages and bingo, not been an issue since, I was even looking at changing the pump

Update

i changed the fluid and while being very gunky and smelling a bit burnt its not made a difference :( we bled it lock to lock for a while and the levels at max

as soon as you really start loading the steering up hard it becomes very notchy as if the power steerings switching on and off and the wheel feels like locking in certain positions. When coming into a corner with some steering angle, its giving a massive vibration through the steering wheel like the front brake discs are seriouslywarped - i know for a fact that they are not. 

again normal driving and while stationary lock to lock its completely fine

we checked the belt and its tensioned correctly, marked it and its showing no signs of slip. 

When we put the car back up on the ramp with it up in the air, when you turn lock to lock it gives MASSIVE vibrations and you can see the wheel bouncing back and forth with the steering wheel shaking violently. Hold it at say 3/4 a turn and itll just repeatedly do it.

On the floor its not doing this but this is 100% the issue im having when pushing hard.

ill check the steering UJ tonight and see if thats siezed in spots causing the the PS to bounce causing it to over pressure itself.

other than that were a bit lost to where then its the pump or rack

a quick google tells me that these 05 DCCD widetracks have a different rack and pump to other WRX/STIs. Is this 100% the case?