2.5 or 2.0 xt

Micke

Hello to you all,

I have read quite a few posts on this forum, and I must say you guys have a great wealth of knowledge. I'm looking to purchase a Forester Xt and before I look I would kindly like to pick your brains. I'm torn between the 2.5 and the 2.0 both Xt 2005 models as you know is before the higher road fund licence and the end of the 2.0xt.

is there much difference in the running costs between the two and between manual and automatic? I really can't decide between the two. 

I apolgise in advance if this subject has been asked before.

kind regards,

Mick.

Wotcha and welcome - 2.5 gives slightly more oomph lower in the rev range, both similar at mid to top end.

Petrol consumption is all down to your driving style but both can return 30mpg on vpower.

auto v manual. Again I would say this is down to where and how you drive - I find the auto box on my current Scoob frustrating when pushing on a bit as it hangs onto high revs in both normal and sport mode + seems to spend too much time thinking about what gear you are in when you floor it off an island or to over take meaning a dramatic pause before acceleration. That aside the box is smooth through the gears but dont buy an auto of that year if you enjoy 'driving' your motors

Thank you Jay762,

i really would prefer the manual to be honest but I just can't seem to find one that I like. Maybe I'm being to inpatient and keep looking.

Hello again 

I have been talking to an owner who is selling a 2.5 Xt manual, he has stated that the engine warning light comes on and investigation says it's a turbo solenoid fault. Would this be expensive to fix and if left for any length of time damage the engine?

Mick

I would at least take a code reader to check fault codes, if easy fix surprised it not done !

As for what to go for, I would take first one you find that is a proper impeccable clean low mileage example with impeccable paperwork whether it 2.0 or 2.5

Normally quite easy find 2.0xt clean & low miles, manual is way better, 2.0xt manual probably holds better resale potential too . extra grunt of 2.5 is good if think you need it . Main thing is be fussy & really look at the car in detail & don't buy intil you 100% happy .

Thanks guys,

The owner said he has a fault code reader and that's how he found out it was turbo solenoid. By all accounts whilst fault is on the cruise control won't work? He clears code then for around a month all is back to normal. Forester is a 2.5xt on a 55 plate with 66,000 miles. has a few other issues, main one being no service history, mad I know.

I'm looking on Autotrader and eBay

Keep looking, do remember 2.5 headgaskets are an issue, no oil changes & poor oil play big part in the gasket breakdown ...

You'll buy one then few weeks later see way better options appear . on cars like this it worth spending the extra to get a proper tidy one as they will be faultless/reliable & pay you back in no garage expenses & pleasure of a mint purchase .

Bad ones can rack up expensive bills from £300 to £2,000 quite easily and more so if not handy with wrench yourself ...