wax and detailer

tezmil1

Hi all, was going to get some wax for my car and was thinking about trying the meguires range, However when looking (on Amazon) a lot of reviewers were talking about using detailer and I just wondered what is the difference between detailer and wax if there is any, some people said they use both together and I just wondered if there is any advantage or benefit of doing this.

so what do you all use, its very confusing which is the best product to get as there is so much choice and all of them state they are the best for one reason or another,

thanks, Terry

Meguiars is good stuff. Not sure what you'd get for using both over just one. I assume you just want a shiny car.

I find the ultimate compound good.

My personal preference is the G3 range of products.  I use the body shampoo then the clay mitt then the resin superwax.  If I'm feeling fruity I then use autoglym extra gloss protection on top. 

Detailer is more for when you get to a show and want to blow over with it and a cloth,

You can spend anything from a tenner to hundreds on waxes and wht not,

Even though Meguiars are classed as budget range mine always come up good using their products, as long as you wash and compound the car before Polish & waxing it will look great, I use the ultimate stuff at the moment people say it looks clean and shiny.

I don't really see the point paying hundreds for Polish and wax as it's my daily and nearly 20 years old

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks, I will stick with wax I think, Just wondered what detailer was as a few people in reviews said they used both. When I bought my car i bought the armour shield stuff but I am not impressed, Especially the alloy wheel stuff that is supposed to keep wheels clean or easier to clean as they get dirtier than they did before I used it.

I think I will try the meguire products as they seem to be  quite well rated at a reasonable price

thanks, Terry

• Like 1

I've been using Maguires products exclusively, and they are awesome. Here's what you need to know. If you need to compound your car, use Ultimate liquid compound. Go section by section after doing a good wash. If your car is really dirty, you can use it while your washing by putting it on a soft car wash brush that is wet with car wash, and rinsing each section at a time. When done, use Ultimate liquid wax. It is completely synthetic polymer, and comes with an applicator and a nice microfiber towel. When using these products, less is more and a bottle goes a long way. Apply like butter, and keep using clean microfiber or perhaps an old tee shirt if you don't want to spend the money. In between serious wax applications, use Ultimate Quik wax. Make sure you use the polymer version only. Do it after washing and drying. A light mist is all that is needed. Stay away from the detailer because it has Carnauba wax in it. It will give a good shine, but will cause build up. It's great for a classic vet that you would take to a car show, and leave in your garage the rest of the year. I am not there yet! If you follow these procedures, your car will look awesome, and maintain a great shine that holds up. Once you put the time in initially, it's really easy to maintain. I won't use any other products. Good luck

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, I don't need to compound the car as paintwork very good, But i have ordered liquid wax and quick wax for in-between applications. I have even ordered a buffing machine so I am well set up now for a while at least and some meguires txt generation shampoo as may as well keep it all the same,

Thanks, Terry

I already have a clay cloth that I have never used, However I intend to use it. My paintwork is excellent but I have noticed when I wash it there is sometimes a residue on the surface that does move with a bit of work, I sort of assume this is a build up of different polishes and wax as no doubt the subaru dealer I bought the car from will have lathered it on even though the paintwork is excellent so hopefully the clay cloth will remove this and I can start again,

Terry

• Like 1

I've just gone over all my STI with this...

http://angelwax.co.uk/product/stripped-ease-wax-removal-system/

to get all the wax I've put on it over the years, so I can start again and build up the paint finsh.

So tonight I've prepped the 'stripped' paint work with AngelWax Ti-22 and then applied a coat of Anglewax Desirable.