Outback 3.0rn torque converter problems?

pieman1978

Hello to all!  I have very recently purchased my very first subaru and am appealing to the wealth of knowledge here!

The car is an outback 2007 3.0rn with 95000 mls and a full service history from subaru and in stunning condition, everything works as new and so far I am very impressed, especially in sport sharp and manual.  One issue I have noticed is a very slight shudder from low down in the revs and under gentle acceleration.  There is also a very slight "graunch" upon accelerating from standstill, inaudible but is sort of felt through the steering wheel for no more than a split second.  Thirdly it almost refuses to accelerate in "I" mode without nearly 50% throttle, often causing the slight shudder.

I have cleaned the maf and pcv which were in immaculate condition, had a full terraclean and had the whole fuel/air system and emissions checked and been informed the car is performing as new.  Is this just a typical 5eat issue or does it indicate torque converter of doom possibilities? I purchased the car from a subaru main dealer who has agreed to have a look but they seem blissfully unaware of the technical service bulletin and subsequent updated part number for a few of the 5eat tc's.

Help very much appreciated!  Also if anyone is wondering if the £120 for a terra clean is worth it, my car has been relentlessly well maintained and I am told only fuelled with 99 and the emissions dropped and performance smoothed out enormously fro what was already a very smooth engine, cannot reccomemd enough, mpg at legal motorway speed with cruise on also increased to an average of 28.5-30 mpg, about 1.5mpg improvement!

P

Have you checked both the level, and condition of the transmission fluid? Needs checking with engine running in park. probably wouldn't hurt anyway to do a coupleof drains and refill with fresh fluid if you don't know how old the fluid is.

My car doesn't have the "graunch" upon accelerating from standstill, inaudible but is sort of felt through the steering wheel for no more than a split second.  Thirdly it almost refuses to accelerate in "I" mode without nearly 50% throttle, often causing the slight shudder" you report, with 157k miles on the clock.

Interested about the Terraclean, thought about it myself but hesitated. Might give it a go.

• Like 1

Thankyou greenmamba, I havnt checked the fluid level/condition but noted on the history that the trans fluid and filter was changed 5k ago although I am aware of how much contamination can remain without a full flush or repeated draining, I will look into this tomorrow.  Yep cannot recommend terra lean enough, have used it for a few vehicles now and it seems to be a relatively cheap way of keeping things clean, it certainly helped with a previous discovery 3 I had.  Thanks for your advice.

p

A simple drain and fill of the tranny will yield about 4 litres. Garages usually just do that much each time the car is in for major service. Noting there's over 10 litres full, several drain and fills eventually gets a majority of fresh fluid in. A full flush (using recovery/replacement) on the other hand is more comprehensive but can, I believe disturb waxes/sludge etc. I've not done that, just drain and fills.

Thanks again for that.  I can now confirm the trans fluid level is fine and not dirty, it is however totally clear and not red as I was suspecting?!  Is this right?  Is there a possibility the dealer had added the wrong oil?

Definitely the tranny, diff is on the other side and that looks the colour it should and is nice and clear and thick, the part number on the invoice is k0410y0700 and it is specified as Subaru atf.... Starting to get a bit suspicious!

Hopefully... Looking through the history the dealer has used 'pimento' aft fluid at 60k miles and now this Subaru fluid at 90k.  They have also been using 10/40 and 5/30 engine oil so I'm starting to think it just happens to be whatever they have lying around, at least it has been regular I guess