Thinking of going Skoda to Subaru, advise!

Hi all, so I'm new round here, but not to car forums etc.

So, I currently drive a 2009 Octavia VRS TDI hatch which is lovely. It's quickish, practical and frugal.

However, I've had it nearly 4 years and I feel like a change. A faster petrol powered 4WD change to be precise (don't want an Audi)! So I'm looking at late gen 2 impreza saloons (I don't actually need THAT much space) and I'd be willing to spend £5-6k.

Firstly, will that get me a decent late gen 2 STI or similar?

Secondly, what are they like to live with? I used to have a 1993 legacy, so I know Subaru interiors are pants. What are they like to drive every day and to commute in? I do the odd long trip on motorways from Sheffield to Wales etc, so what's that like? I also like working on my own cars too.

Now I know they're a bit thirsty, but realistically, how thirsty if driven normally, ie most of the time?

Thanks all!!

43 minutes ago, matt said:

I got both a skoda and a Scoob lol 

5k you might find a bug 01/02 plate Sti if you search , is a lovely white wagon version for 6k somewhere 

Thanks matt, what are they like for long range comfort and day to day driving? Reliability?

I've got a blob-eye GX (non turbo) and do 60/100 miles a day in it and it never misses a beat and is really rather comfy to drive.

The WRX's and STI's have nicer interiors and more supportive seats and I've never heard people complain about aches or pains after driving long distance but that the boils down to personal preference.

The space in the car is surprising and is basically the Swiss-army-knife of the 4 wheel world... The boot is large enough for a good monthly shop or approximately 2 body bags depending on usage, there's plenty of leg room for the passengers, unless you're in my height bracket of around 6'4" in which case the only way someone is getting behind you is if they are absurdly skinny or have no legs ...

All in all, get one, love one, never drive anything else again [emoji1303]

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

@PazzaN96

The space in the car is surprising and is basically the Swiss-army-knife of the 4 wheel world... The boot is large enough for a good monthly shop or approximately 2 body bags depending on usage, there's plenty of leg room for the passengers, unless you're in my height bracket of around 6'4" in which case the only way someone is getting behind you is if they are absurdly skinny or have no legs ...

LOLS ! 🔫🔪☠⚰

• Like 1