Can someone recommend an affordable UP-Pipe please?

Paul_JJ

I have a 1997 forester with an impreza Engine EJ20G, I suppose the up-pipe is the same for impreza as well. Mine needs replacing as welding it most likely won't be a long term fix... Can you advise please? I'm relatively new to Subaru world!

Thank you.

The standard v1 to v6 impreza up pipe is the same and any of those will fit your foz . If you decide to go aftermarket stay away from up pipes with "flexi's" or bigger bores like japspeed or toyo sports as these will loose you spool and hp .

As performance sell "trick " up pipes which increase spool and the likes of haywood & Scott sell slip jointed ones that stop the gaskets blowing (both will need mapping in to get the benefits )

Whichever direction you go make sure you buy new oe gaskets, studs and nuts from the likes of import car parts as the eBay cheap ones don't last [emoji6]

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

• Like 1

Does the standard one has a flexi??? Or why the aftermarket with flexi is bad? is it putting strain on the gaskets or something? After reading this I feel like looking for OEM used pipe -) And yes I've got a new set of gaskets and nuts from ICP, wasn't cheap though.

Would the one from 2005 forester fit? It has a cat and Lambda in the pipe, but my lambda is located on the downpipe and I can always gut it -) so that sounds like a cheap and reliable option for me? I suppose I have TD04 turbo and not sure what is on 2005 model would that definitely FIT my 1997 car??? Pics below

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Classics don't have a pre cat in the up pipe only the newage , so if your foz hasn't got 1 I'd say get 1 without a pre cat . As although it will "mechanically" fit it would be more restrictive with the pre cat in and need to be remapped.

Well, if that would fit, than I think it would be a good start for me, as I can always gut the actual cat. The price is just very good for that.

I don't really see how that would need to be remapped as I run standard pressure and my understanding of cars is that the turbo won't spool up as fast of the restriction, It will not see the high boost, but in theory should work otherwise, as lambda would adjust accordingly and is located on the downpipe for me.

What I don't like about this design is that when the cat starts to degrade small bits and pieces will come out of it and that will get to turbo, thus damaging the blades? But even then I can always gut it, making it just plain pipe.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken? Also on the pictures above do you see the crack on the inside? is that normal for OEM pipes? is it on the way out already?

Well as long as it fits, that would do me at least for a year or so. I will eventually ask Zisco from Malta to fabricate a good mild steel pipe for me. Stainless doesn't like very hot temperatures and these guys from Malta are superb at fabricating exhausts, manifolds and so on with a proper warranty.

My ECU is not re-mappable, nor I have any piggy backs or any other means of adjusting the fuel map, I run my standard 250 bhp and happy with that -) but 300 could be fantastic, not sure if the auto gearbox will like it though.

I was just looking on the haywood and Scott website and they list a newage and classic up pipe at different prices [emoji15]

I know the newage up pipes have a sensor in them and classics don't, so I expected them to have a different part number due to the sensor ferrell.

As far as I was aware headers and up pipe are the same dimensions on classic and newage ( interchangeable ) but after seeing that on their website I don't want to advise you to buy something that possibly won't fit (as the one you're looking at is the equivalent to a newage impreza )

Maybe you'd be better off buying a up pipe off a foz of the same year to be 100% sure.

Well, looking at this up-pipe for example - it looks like that would fit any impreza from 92 to 2006... Mines is very rare 1997 JDM Forester, finding an OEM Up-pipe of the same year in good condition, would be similar to winning a lottery -)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-UpPipe-LinkPipe-Up-Pipe-for-SUBARU-Impreza-92-06-WRX-STi-GT-GC8-GDA-GDB-/281549497755?hash=item418da8659b:g:SXcAAOSwc0FUpn7i

ALso I Have purchased the bolts and gaskets (expensive stuff) from ICP already and they are the same for all impreza's 92-06 as well. But I was hoping that someone on the UK forum had experience with such issues in the past, since the Up-pipe is part of the exhaust manifold and these things on the turbo charged cars usually don't last very long...

I'll have a word on UK foz for you as someone's just sold his t/tb and had loads of bits for it.

As for your ecu you'll need an esl board www.enduringsolutions.co.uk

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk