Reverse gear popping out with 6MT short-shifter

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and I would like to say a big hello from Spain

I don't know if this has happened to anyone with a 6-speed Manual transmission

Impreza 2010 2.0 D

But since Saturday, I cannot engage reverse gear, I press the clutch, put the lever

in reverse gear but it doesn't go all the way back, like it was blocked, when I lift the clutch

and accelerate, I hear a horrible scraping noise, and then the gear pops out, any ideas, could it

be broken reverse gear pinion?

Any help would be much appreciated thanks!

Hi welcome to the forum's

It could be many thing's

from a clutch problem to the gearbox.

Might want to try yourself, adjusting how you select reverse, try do it slowly and let the clutch out slowly that sort of thing.

Adjust the reverse cable.

Change of good quality gearbox oil not sure it will help, better if they sort of crunch into gear but you never know.

But you might need to take it to a garage they maybe able to repair the reverse gear linkage or syncro.

Or might need a new gearbox. If that's the case would say a 2nd hand one would be cheaper. I'm not sure if anyone else on here has had the same problem that might be able to help you out more then I can. But would try the few thing's I put to start with, hope it help's in some way.

I've been reading...and I have a million ideas what it could be

The thing is I was changing from 5th to 6th gear and it wouldn't go

I think unintentionally I lifted the reverse gear block,  and went into

reverse gear at 90mph, definetely a gearbox problem

probably worn out the teeth of the reverse gear synchromesh

That's gonna be expensive :(

Car's in the garage, no news yet, at first they thought it was the

short shifter but no...everything is goin' so slow...could be that the reverse gear

pinion has passed onto a better life, my mistake, I definetely didn't need this

I think unintentionally I lifted the reverse gear block,  and went into

reverse gear at 90mph,

.......yes unfortunately that would do it :o

hope it does not impact your social funds too much

Yeah I agree think you answered your own question their mate :(

Well hope it's nothing too big to repair. have to let us know what it was when you find out. But would think the final bill will not be cheap :( sorry to say. 

My guess would be about £750 to £1000+ with part's and labour. I could not tell you exactly, I've never had to have it done touch wood. And in the UK we get ripped off so might be cheaper over in Spain :(

But look's like you did a nice little number on it. If it was me I would get a few quotes to have it fixed then get quotes for a 2nd hand gearbox fitted 

Have to let us know what the price is please I'm interested to know myself :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have good news, sorry better late than never, syncromesh and pinions were replaced for the reverse gear, parts cost 300 Euros in total, hand labour

was brilliant, I didn't go to the car dealer, so far so good, reverse gear inserts well, but goin' back to neutral point is a little more difficult, but got the hang of it

You won't believe this the day after gettin' the car back from the mechanic, I had a water warning light flashing, I was like OMG!!! it turned out to be I changed the standard water cap for a 2005 sti water cap was a bad mistake, silly billy!!! 

Now I've got serious issues with the DPF (Diesel Particle Filter) I think it's a scam, they come defective and break down after guarantee, cost of a new one

2000 Euros or get it cleaned "properly" by "professionals" It was cleaned before but I think th error was eliminated and a additive was added to clean it at the dealer

From what I've heard DPF's are notorious for their breakdown in a lot of diesel cars, if I ever get a chance, my next scooby will be petrol engine, no doubt about it. Fuel Milage with the new boxer diesel engine is way below impressive, it's from another galaxy if you compare it to the manual. I'm not lying right, I'm impartial about cars, I'm not one who hides problems or lies in order to give my car a "better" impression

The 2.0 Boxer Diesel engine is good but it has a mayor drawback and that's its lack of torque at low revs when compared to VW engines, the engine is so slow below 2.000rpm, then after that it comes to life

Well, hope you've enjoyed the post

You can get the DPF cleaned as it sounds like you have done before then use an additive to ensure it doesn't block up again, I had the same issue with my turbo diesel van - cured with BG products now I use the BG additive in the diesel every time I fill up, that cost was 300 euros including a service plus the cost of the bottle of additive (about 12 euros)

You can get the DPF removed completely here in UK but I don't know how the Spanish emission laws differ and if you can have it done there.

Here is just one example

http://abchiptuning.co.uk/services/dpf-removal

Well great news on the gearbox, and the price. Wow think I will ship my car to Spain to get it fixed that's very cheap :D 

And hope you get the problem sorted easy enough. Thanks for keep us updated :D

• 4 months later...

Hi! My dpf finally blocked back in April, it was thoroughly cleaned and the dpf software was updated, as a result the dpf kicks in sooner, so it's good for city drivers like me :)

Now the repro, as the dpf software was updated, new access codes were added to the cpu, until I get those access codes, I can't download the info from the cpu, so still waiting, I'll be substituting dpf for a straight pipe and nullfying dpf electronically followed by a repro, I will post the results when it's done

Regards!

• Like 1