A few pointers, Looking to buy an Impreza

Rob Kelz

Morning all,

Looking for some advice and pointers what to look out for when buying an Impreza, I looked at a couple of WRX's around my area and online etc

After looking into them I realised they were a lower power bracket than I originally thought, Currently I have a Seat Leon Cupra 2003 1.8 20v turbo with a few modifications, running 242bhp but I'm now wanting more power and always wanted an Impreza

I see a few online and some people upgraded the clutch to a paddle clutch, is there any specific reason for this? Original one not being very good or just a recommended upgrade?

Also I noticed one said he upgraded the clutch to a paddle clutch(may have done flywheel too cannot remember) but said since this was done it has had a whine at high speed when in 3rd and 5th. Apparently this is common when upgrading to paddle clutches?

Anyway as I said, any pointers and advice much appreciated, hopefully I'll soon be the owner of an Impreza

Also just to say I'm looking between 2003-2005 model, has to be atleast 2003 due to private registration, and not looking for a 2.5 hawkeye model

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

little bit of bed time reading here 

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/1619-help-check-guide-buying-1st-subaru/

And as for the clutch most people will upgraded them to stage 1 from the oem clutch with the AWD and the power, if you do a bit of launching, track days, what most of us here call spirited driving from time to time ;) I'm sure you know what I mean :) the OEM clutch is not good for all that and you can soon burn them out. And there not cheap to keep replacing so a good thing to have upgraded more so if you want more power upgrades to go with it that will kill the OEM clutch a lot quicker too. So yes good to know when buying one and if the flywheels been done to that is massive + for anything you want to upgrade.

And I can't remember whats been posted in the sales section now and whats been sold but worth taking a look here

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/forum/17-subarus-for-sale/

And hope to see some pictures when you find the one :)

Wat are the differences between the wrx and sti? Looking at 2003-2005 models but apart from the obvious spoiler, interior and 6 speed gearbox what are the other differences?

I know they are 40bhp more but what's different to accomplish this? And I been told a sti is a forged engine as wrx isn't?

As I understand it the STI has a wider track, bigger wheel hubs, bearings and brakes to the wrx - there may also be thicker anti roll bars but I cant remember / find where I read that so cannot confirm at this point.

before getting the hatch in the picture I drove a hawkeye wrx and a blobeye sti - both are great cars but I enjoyed the sti more in the short time I was in them purely because of the close ratio gearbox. You cant go wrong with either car but for driving enjoyment I would plump for the STI

Hi mate, I had a decat and 2.5 inch from turbo back and on my 01 bugeye with 130k miles it made 280 and 276lb, as for the paddle its a love and hate relationship, my mates swore by theres so I fitted a 6 paddle to mine and it was horrible for daily start stop traffic, constant juddering a low speeds, great at quick changes however.