1st service + warranty

XxKennersxX

Can anyone give me some advice please. I have a Impreza that is due it's first service which the garage (where I brought it from Subaru dealership) is quoting £250. The car had only done 5500 miles in 12 months. Can I take it to another garage (non subaru) without voiding the warranty. Thanks. 

TBH just get it done by subaru. yes you can get it done else where as long as its a proper garage, check the warranty t's and c's though, usualy somethign in it about has to be serviced at a vat registered garage or summit like that

As what Tidgy said - just get it done at Subaru. I know it's a pain, having only done 5500 miles at that cost. 

BUT.....a Subaru service history adds a bit of weight when you come to sell. Also, being a new-ish motor, I wouldn't mess around taking it to Tom & Harry down the road, where you need to make they are using Subaru standard / Subaru quality parts. insurance companies love a get out at the time of having to pay you out, if you did run into a bit of bother with the motor down the line. 

It is likely the warranty company may let you use somewhere else but as Tidgy also says, check the T&C.

Iv'e got a similar problem. just purchased a 2015 wrx sti with only 2700 miles recorded. It is apparently 12,000 miles away from first service but isnt age of oil an equal concern ?

Wasnt a subaru main dealer i bought from. car is perfect in every other way. The 1000 mile service has been completed but the car has in my opinion not been used to any great extent since. going to speak to KT Green official Subaru franchise  on friday but thought would ask here for opinion. 1700 miles since last service is this a concern over after 12 months ? Thanks for the response Daz should have made it clear that the running in service has been recorded.

Is a service required after 12 months and 1700 miles ? Well, there are 2 obvious ways here.

Maybe it isn't required, although through the winter months, due to lack of use and standing in 0 degree temps for a lot of time, the oil would have a bit more condensation / moisture in and around it.

Cause to have the oil changed ? Depends really on how fussy you are. Many people would say "So what - what damage can that do, the limited (if any) moisture that is about". Others believe that it helps for the longevity of the car. How anybody can tell which way out is best, I wouldn't know. It is personal choice on this. Probably leaving the oil change 5 years though because it's done 8000 miles would be a little excessive by most people's book.

So that's one side of it. The other side is that if your transmission breaks and there is a bill of £1000 /1500 swilling around, companies don't like paying the money when certain conditions have not been met. In fact, they run to the hills and run very quickly. The companies normally are of the insurance kind of company and offer you Subaru warranty on your car.

So your car has had a catastrophic transmission failure, the dealer has quoted £1250 for the job, the warranty company has run away - who is going to pick that bill up ? 

Now, obviously it's all about risk and the chances of this failure are slim at the worst chance. But whilst not 0% chance, there is some risk. Also, if you decided the bill was too steep to pay and just decided to hand the car in as it is, non functioning, as a newer car with broken transmission, you have a lot more to lose in ££ in car value than, say, a 6 year old motor with broken transmission long after the warranty has expired. Unfortunately, unlike cars that do what is asked of them, non functioning motors seem to be valued very much more closely and at bargain money

Thanks for the interesting different angle approach to my concern, but the on board computeris telling me that another 12,400 miles before the next service is required. I understand that oil is subject to breakdown over time ( Many years with TVR`s as only weekend toys and dorment over winter) but surely even the most basic of systems can tell time and date of service or am i wrong with this subaru system ? My wifes SLK can tell you how many times she has farted in the car !!! ( Hope she doesnt read this), just by plugging the key into a machine. Thanks in advance for any further comments.