2009 WRX Sti and 330S

jimber

Hi,

I have owned a 54 plate 2005 WRX for the past 6 years and as a whole its been really reliable.

I am looking for an upgrade and have been looking at the 2008/2009 sti or the sti 300S if my budget will stretch that far.

Can anyone give me some buying tips as I have heard a few negative things about the 2.5 sti boxter engine, does anyone know if the problems are being exaggerated.

Is the 330s worth the extra cost?

Ring land failure, head gasket failure. Not alot you can do, headgasket failure can be check with a snif test but will only tell you it has or hasnt failed and doesnt mean it wont fail 2 miles down the road.

Only real fix is rebuild the engine. tis ashame cos built right they are a cracking road engine

Its a shame, I have owned 2 scoobies, the last one for 6 years and really wanted to stay a scoobie owner but I need a hatchback now and ideally more power so the 2009 330S looked like a good bet.  Leaves me with a dilemma, maybe look for a 2005 2 litre wagon and have it tuned up to 300bhp or switch to Audi or VW.

You could take into account an engine refresh cost in the buying price? but tbh you'll find the audi or vw boring as sin. i went from a hawk wrx (although tuned to 400) to an e46 and it was seriously dull, really nice car but just dull by comparison

I feared as much, I looked at an R32 the other day and it sounded great but I think its down on power.  Also considered the BMW 135i but it doesn't have the AWD or a lancer ralliart but it cant be reliably tuned past 300BHP.  What would you suggest?

Yep, the saloon has been the only negative about my scoobie ownership. Would like something newer now also so the criteria is AWD (4x4), hatch or estate, 300+ bhp and fun to drive.  everything seems to be a compromise and nothing quite fits the bill.  I can probably stretch up to £13k for the right car.

How much should be factored in for an engine rebuild?  £3k? I am buying to keep for the next 5-6 years so don't want it in and out of the workshop every 6 months.

I was thinking the 330S could be a future classic and hold its value well. 

roughly 4.5k for a proper rebuild assuming no damage. 

You could possibly get a hawk wrx estate forged, bigger turbo, suspension and brakes for that sort of money and it will be pretty bullet proof. But your gonna be at the top end of your budget. or you could take the chance on the engine.

Blob WRX would be cheaper option, engine will be fine at 300-350

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/subaru/impreza-wrx/subaru-impreza-wrx/7049555

If its any conciliation im kinda int eh same boat, my daily volvo went bang so now tryign to decide on a replacement. couple of hawk wrx's etates are available and im pondering on the 2.5 issues or leave it be

So would mine, had a bad one a few years ago hence the scoobie. 

Do you know if most of the engine issues occur on modded engines only, are standard engines generally more reliable?

I think you are being hard in the 2.5. My 2008 330 hatch has 56000 miles.fine so far. Don't forget only people with problems tend to post .it is fun to drive and pulls like a train but not tracked it or hard launches.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Afraid its not, its pure luck. I know cars that have had 2 engines in 15k miles, some that were babied and failed but then also know some that were abused like a redheaded tiwanese hooker and are still going strong.

Here's the 2k long thread on SN about it,

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/828990-2008-2010-2-5ltr-engine-failures.html

It's just pure luck

Mine is standard. It's actually too quiet and am considering trying to make it louder but won't need remap unless change downpipe. More likely to do suspension and brake pads as happy with power.

34 minutes ago, Beags said:

Mine is standard. It's actually too quiet and am considering trying to make it louder but won't need remap unless change downpipe. More likely to do suspension and brake pads as happy with power.

a cunning plan baldrick,,,,,, hahaha

I have a medium moddified 08 hatch wrx running 320bhp with no problem.get a well look't after one and keep a keen eye on your oil n coolants,good service history and you may be ok and dont drive it redline all over the place let it warm up before you give it the heavy right foot.but that said i also owned a standard wrx hatch and the headgasket went on it doing 5mph along my road.but i sould have guessed as it was for sale cheap with no service history and engine bay was filthy,i really sould have walk away from it but i bought it and got stung think they new it was on its way out.so like tidgy says its pop luck but all the above help and get a good one and you wont regret it.if you can afford it get a 330s much better seat proper recaros in them the sti just has wrx seats in with sti on then and bit fancy alcantara on middle.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone that's responded.

I know buying any car is a gamble especially a second hand performance car however some of the horror stories on scoobienet have completely put me off buying a 2.5 boxter especially as I buy a car to keep for 5-6 years.

I am defiantly in a quandary what to buy next, maybe a ralliart as they are cheap and have it modded up to 300bhp.  I have also read the clutch cant handle any more than this or save a bit longer and go for an RS.