Newbie needs help

Hello all you subaru heads

I'm new to this forum so please be gentle with me, I've just purchased a 2001 bugeye, despite the seller assuring me the motor was 100% I've had nothing but hassle with it (only had it less than a week) πŸ˜₯ the biggest issue is lack of boost, it doesn't want to go any higher than 5-6 on my gauge and seems to struggle and cough (maybe even misfire) when I put my foot down and get the revs up, it's had a front mount intercooler installed which has relocated the air filter in to the drivers wing, this was clogged solid so have replaced it (which improved it slightly) it's had a full dpf clean which didn't do much, I've also checked the boost solenoid which didn't seem to be clicking under test mode (green connectors under dash) but does click under a bench test on a Battery but my inexperience means I don't know if it's knackered or not, it's reading between 22-23 ohms between terminals, good or bad??? I have brought plugs but have not fitted them yet as it seems more like a boost issue/lack of power. Any advice would be hugely appreciated, thanks in advance πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

I should add that the engine management light is onΒ 

Thanks guys, yes I've just heard about this pill!! I'd never heard of it before, all my pipes have been replaced for after market silicone so it could be very likely it's been left out?? Would this still be required with certain mods or is it needed full stop??Β 

Just now, Phillip1993 said:

What fual you running on and dpf clean it doesn't have a dpf there only fitted to diesel cars

Β 

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Β 

Β 

It's only running on the premium fuel, ok I didn't know that, they were just called dpf cleaning or something, it's the terraclean guys, im sure you've all seem them? Either way it made no difference, should have saved the cash for something more useful πŸ˜₯

Wotcha and welcome - yes the pill is needed as it helps regulate the pressure your turbo is putting into your engine - I think I have read somewhere that if you have a 3 way boost solenoid fitted you no longer need the pill but if not you will need it

10 minutes ago, steveuk260 said:

Welcome. Check all your hoses for air leeks.

Β 

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Β 

Β 

I haven't done this yet, what's the best way? Some one said a spray bottle with soapy water?? πŸ€”πŸ‘

Just now, Jay762 said:

Wotcha and welcome - yes the pill is needed as it helps regulate the pressure your turbo is putting into your engine - I think I have read somewhere that if you have a 3 way boost solenoid fitted you no longer need the pill but if not you will need it

Hello, thanks for your help, my solenoid has 3 pipes, one that looks like a main feed in (which has a hoseΒ on) then 2 at the other end (one had another hose on and the other had nothing on it) does that sound right?Β 

no it should be connected - but dependant on which 2 are connected already it could be one of three choices

Here is a load of info on the pill, what it does and a diagram of a 3 port solenoid fitted about half way down the page

https://www.cobbtuning.com/support/how-subarus-factory-boost-control-system-works-v1-09/

Well dpf stands for diesel particulate filter and your car as you no runs on petrol so bit odd. And your better of running a good fual 97ron and above and it sounds like you might need some new plugs as that might be the case of your misfire and sometimes the ecu will think this is knock wich will cause the boost to be dropped

Β 

Β 

Β 

21 minutes ago, stants said:

Has it been mapped for the fmic & 3 port ? For a start

Β 

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Β 

Β 

I was told it has had a map but that's all I know, I will look through the paper work and get back to you. CheersΒ 

19 minutes ago, Jay762 said:

no it should be connected - but dependant on which 2 are connected already it could be one of three choices

Here is a load of info on the pill, what it does and a diagram of a 3 port solenoid fitted about half way down the page

https://www.cobbtuning.com/support/how-subarus-factory-boost-control-system-works-v1-09/

Brilliant, thanks a lot I will read through that shortly and also check the hoses to see if I have one πŸ‘

20 minutes ago, Phillip1993 said:

Well dpf stands for diesel particulate filter and your car as you no runs on petrol so bit odd. And your better of running a good fual 97ron and above and it sounds like you might need some new plugs as that might be the case of your misfire and sometimes the ecu will think this is knock wich will cause the boost to be dropped

Β 

Β 

Β 

I've heard that there's one particular cylinder closest to the turbo that's prone to issues due to heat or is that a myth?? I did start to attempt to change the plugs but oh my god how awkward are they!! πŸ˜₯ what is this knock sensor? Is it an easy fix or a way of testing for a faulty one? Thanks πŸ‘

It probably not the sensor thats the problem its probably the misfire making the ecu think its knock get rid of the misfire and boost should go back to normal if that the only problem but plugs are a cheap fix so its a good place to start

Β 

Β 

Β 

1 minute ago, Phillip1993 said:

It probably not the sensor thats the problem its probably the misfire making the ecu think its knock get rid of the misfire and boost should go back to normal if that the only problem but plugs are a cheap fix so its a good place to start

Β 

Β 

Β 

Yes totally agree, thanks a lot. Would a faulty plug set off the engine management light?Β 

12 minutes ago, Phillip1993 said:

Not normally

Β 

Β 

Β 

Bummer!! Well the lights on, I've heard it can be historic codes that have not been reset although given the way the car is performing in sure it's on because something's playing up.Β 

49 minutes ago, Phillip1993 said:

Might need a scan tool to see what the code is I don't know if the newer ones have self check but first thing to do is find out why the light is on

Β 

Β 

Β 

Ive been looking into this and believe these don't have that function (counting the flashes on the dash board) so I'm sure it will need plugging in, been quoted Β£90 just to plug it in and give me a code πŸ˜₯😯

2 hours ago, suprastylecat said:

Brilliant, thanks a lot I will read through that shortly and also check the hoses to see if I have one πŸ‘

That was a good read and certainly lots for me to check now, I'm sure I've had a 3 port solenoid installed and looking at them diagrams am sure it's plumbed wrong πŸ‘

I had a similar misfire on my classic years ago. As soon as boost built up it would misfire. Bought new plugs and when I changed them found that the old plugs were gapped way to much and the boost was blowing the spark out.

Β 

Sent from my HUGO-H1 using Tapatalk

Β 

Β 

You could trrrry the black connectors to see if it would read out the codes, on the 2000 Impreza it did, but don't think I even have the connectors on the 2001 legacy.

Where abouts are you? Perhaps there's someone here near you with a scan tool

Β 

Β 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk