2 questions

Bouncer

What size are the bolts that hold in top i/c on on a 95 wrx import, I know they're 12mm (i think) but what size thread

Does it (cooler) need a bottom frame underneath it to bolt onto the engine, I know the Y pipe goes on the turbo and throttle body, but looks like it need some kind of frame to bolt on to

As Pete mentioned in another thread, you will need;

Brackets, top mount, y pipe, dump valve adapter or recirc + piping.

95wrxenginea_zpsacd26a6a.jpg

From this photo you can see two mounting points for the intercooler itself to some form of bracketry - that may or may not be in place on yours - any chance you could post some photos of what you have and what the current engine top looks like? Also I cant see a recirc valve but am unsure if they were fitted as standard in 95

If the brackets are in place see if there is a nut welded to the base - if so this will allow you to try a variety of thread types - I would go with an M12 std which is 1.75 pitch (fine is 1.5)

jfyi M10 std is 1.5 and fine is 1.25

• Like 1

For the bolt size I've not got a clue sorry I will go with what Jay said ;) . I know there is two types on the classic straight and angled, angled seems to have less space to work with making it a pain to work on.

And to change the subject a bit in typical S.O.C style I know you can have these upgraded to newage Intercoolers, ;)

As Pete mentioned in another thread, you will need;

Brackets, top mount, y pipe, dump valve adapter or recirc + piping.

95wrxenginea_zpsacd26a6a.jpg

From this photo you can see two mounting points for the intercooler itself to some form of bracketry - that may or may not be in place on yours - any chance you could post some photos of what you have and what the current engine top looks like? Also I cant see a recirc valve but am unsure if they were fitted as standard in 95

If the brackets are in place see if there is a nut welded to the base - if so this will allow you to try a variety of thread types - I would go with an M12 std which is 1.75 pitch (fine is 1.5)

jfyi M10 std is 1.5 and fine is 1.25

Sorry about the size, this is mine as of now...I've got a full standard airbox coming too, I see going by your photo, I'll need a couple of pipes and plastic boxes for the i/c

What's the aquare black box on yours between the brake and clutch m/cylinder....I need that too

29m0eh5.jpg

I would say that is a feed to the turbo - bit of air flow

the newage ones don't have that so you might be able to do without...?

Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STI-2006-Engine_zpsdf

Are you going back to the standard airbox configuration as well?

haha, :P  clearly see how horrible it is underneath, word of warning to anyone who's never removed the i/c before be very careful i was holding it around the edges and still managed to damage the fins underneath with a wayward finger, didn;t realise how soft they are !   

I would say that is a feed to the turbo - bit of air flow

the newage ones don't have that so you might be able to do without...?

Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STI-2006-Engine_zpsdf

Are you going back to the standard airbox configuration as well?

Yes putting everything back to original

dunno if this helps but i took a pic of mine when i took the i/c off the other day in case i couldn't get bits back together, bracket on the right and above the turbo, may be different on impreza engines 

The bolt of the left of the i/c....what's it bolted onto?....and behind there on mine is where a black square box would be, as I've got a biggish square hole in the bonnet next the cooler hole...I'll need that too

too true, IC's, rads and oil coolers all very delicate

Yep, found that out

I forgot I'll probably need to put the original d/v on too....it's a Forge on it just now

apologies for the bad additions, graphic design is not my strong point

The pink and blue circles are mounting points that have been highlighted in the first picture with the red engine bay

The green and red outlines are brackets which have the IC mounted to them, the red engine bayed car looks like it mounts the IC directly to the mounting point on the manifold and does not have the red outlined bracket

The close ups show that it is a separate bracket and not mounted to the heat shield on the top of the turbo

wrxengine2000_zpsc444c9b4.jpg

• Like 1

What would be useful are some close ups of the two areas on your own car to see what is there or not - from your existing picture you can see you are missing the bracket outlined in red but you may not need that if you go for the IC type fitted in the red engine bay

Looking at the photos again of the red engine bay against your own wrt the right side (non turbo) there may even be a smaller bracket which is out of sight but again mounts to the manifold highlighted by the blue ring in the photo above

in this picture the IC (same as red engine bay) has x3 mounting points - the top left one is out of sight on the picture and may also require an additional bracket

importwrxic_zps499fe627.jpg

taken from

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMPREZA-INTERCOOLER-TOP-MOUNT-1993-96-WRX-STI-UK-IMPORT-/121165427791?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c3605b44f