RPM AND BOOST

Hi guys im hoping someone can help I recently bought a 2002 wrx bug eye model and Im not sure when the boost should kick in atm it seems like its at full boost at 3750 rpm but doesnt start pullin till bout 3000 rpm is this normal for a standard turbo model all thats bin done to the car is a baileys dump valve and cat back ss exhaust im new to the scooby world so again not sure if its runnin properly or not as I read that it should b kickin in at 2000 rpm cheers for readin.

No no smoke but I have had an issue with the dump valve stickin so got to take it apart clean it and greese it up loads apparently wat do u mean by manual boost controll lol im not that mechanicly minded haha but sometimes it does seem lumpy like its gunna boost then abit more then abit more if that makes sense

get yourself some silicone lubricant spray or use WD40, take the dumpvalve off, if its attached to the intercooler its 2 12mm bolts, and undo the vacuum hose, this is connected to top of dumpvalve, no with the dump valve spray some directly into the bottom of the DV (dumpvalve) then press the bottom, you may have to use a bit of force and move it a few times just to spread the oil around, then spray some into the opening part of the DV the part that makes the psssstt sound. wipe any excess with a cloth or tissue and allow 10mins for it to work into itself. Refitting is reserve of removal becarful no to over tighten the screws into the intercooler, then start the car, the dump valve should open, now carefully spray a tiny bit into the open dump valve and rev a few times, nothing excessive but enough to move your dumpvalve.

As for the boost controller I wouldn't worry about it just I found mine had a manual boost controller that was causing mine not to boost :) hope this helps.

• Like 2

Ive took it off cleaned the wole thing the chamber the piston made sure all the seals were ok greased it up put it back together n seems to b movin alot more than before goin out init now to see what its like if its still kickin in at over 3000rpm wat else could it be lol

best way to do this is take off the intercooler, as once that is off you can check the pipes on the intercooler and make sure that has no cracks, this will then give you a big open space to check all the pipes on the turbo and the wastegate, it could be anything from a tiny pin prick to a big split that is causing it. is it the original turbo that was on since new, if so it may be getting slightly tired.

no, the difference in the filter is to let it breathe more easily allowing more air into the chambers and a better flow combined with the exhaust change.

if you can take a camera with you and get some shots of what you are doing - we like photos on here and it can sometimes help with diagnosing things

Hi again guys I have had a look at the pipes etc but doesnt seem to be anything wrong I spoke to a company to get it remapped and they cant do it bcoz of the ecu however the guy did say something about a pipe which has got a restricter init does anybody have any idea which it could be as the bloke didnt no which one but he knows thats wat it does as ppl cgange the pipes to match the colour of the car etc and could the boost be affected by a water problem as the radiator has bin broke since having it not had it bck yet from garage but just wonderd cheers peeps

log onto facebook and speak to Duncan from Race Dynamix, he will do whats called a piggy back ecu map to yours will bout about £300 + rolling road time, he mapped my bug to 276bhp :) the pipe with the bit in it called the pill is the on coming from the top of you turbo and its a small pipe around 4cm long and should have it inside it, its a bit like a tic tac :)  im not sure that water issue would cause it but who knows, my turbo 2000 has had everything from the hood slightly open on airbox to a crank sensor that's awol.

• Like 1

Scooby Clinic have mapped my T2k and if you read my other post its been nothing but hassle, Duncan comes to you matey, its more to gain more boost than anything and not something I would suggest poking or prodding. :P

Wow! £550+vat Shop around that is a joke funny the more I seem to hear about this place the worse it gets, that's shocking. Without digging my paper work out to check I'm sure for the same car I paid £180 for the map. Yes I did have lot's of other work done at the same time but that was nearly 5 years ago :(