key issue, one button Lock/unlock

Gozling2

I've got an issue with one of my keys for my 2004 Forester, it's died completely, I've changed the Battery to no avail, dismantled the circuit board and the press button part isn't activating and has fallen apart, I've found another key identical to mine on eBay, my question is - can I take the circuit board from the eBay key and put them into my old key, will this retain the original transponder attached to the blade and allow me to reprogram using the original pin code for my 2 original keys, is this a possible replacement key or am I shouting woof woof up an incorrect tree.

Advice gratefully received.59e71feeb4ed8_subarukey.thumb.jpg.1592b4425d62832ef94dda0336b98816.jpg

Yes transponder is packed into housing that holds the blade.

Swapping board and programming new remote is easy and workable option.

Option 2 is sending your key off for button be replaced on the board, is a few services for this via post at about £20 + or -  couple quid ...

Does the key still allow the car to start?

if so the key/fob may be fine and you just need to re-code it to the car (they do occasionally have a flip out and lose the coding), had it with the spare key for mine. Let me know if you need to coding info

Hi Tidgy, no the car won't start, when you press the rubber button there's no response, it doesn't even feel as if anything's happening when you press the button it just feels loose and floppy under the rubber, I've dismantled the key and the button bladder for want of a better wording has come adrift and there's no way to put it back together as it's cracked from one edge.

It should start car if use pin code turn alarm off or other fob from distance (don't want that transponder near steering switch) .

Not that common for transponder chip (scan key) play up but would be wise check it starts car fine before proceeding .

button fault on the fob board is quite common though, I get at least 2 fob issues a month from the sigma alarms. pretty simple swap parts and program in new fob.

alarm guide below that maybe helpful .

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7Ub2apq5-pfcjJhSm5XUHNyUzQ

• 2 years later...
On 10/18/2017 at 1:13 PM, Mr B said:

Yes transponder is packed into housing that holds the blade.

Swapping board and programming new remote is easy and workable option.

Option 2 is sending your key off for button be replaced on the board, is a few services for this via post at about £20 + or -  couple quid ...

5 hours ago, Paul 847 said:

Hi. Have you got an address to send keys to for repair please? Button stuck in the holder on the circuit board. Spare key works but with occasional sticking. 

eBay
here an example for 1 key sigma 30 type alarm >
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Repair-Service-For-1-button-Remote-Key-Fob-Forester-Impreza-Legacy-Outback/192366029811?hash=item2cc9e8abf3:g:6lgAAOSwZB9aDW57

** Do check your keyfob matches service you buy **

If you on the sigma alarm be sure you have known working 4 digit pin code to manually control alarm via keypad .

** If you don't have a PIN you can easily reset PIN while have a working remote **

With a working remote or working PIN these alarms easy deal with at low cost, break all the keyfobs and have no working PIN and cost esculate as does hassle/stress .

Also realise it easy buy a used good keyfob and put circuit board into your keyfob housing and program it to alram module (as long as have a working PIN or 1 working keyfob) should yours be none repairable ..

Be proactive now for the easy fix/solutions and easy life .... too many people ignore alarm issues until it too late ...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I've just bought a 59 plate Forester (my very 1st Subaru), it's a single button fob which when I press it to lock up the car beeps 5 times then the alarm goes off, press it again alarm stops and drivers door only unlocks. I'm assuming it's the standard factory fitted alarm. I've no owners manual so has anyone got any ideas what the problem might be? 

door boot or bonnet not shut or switch issue /

check the bonnet switch as they on a bracket that tends get bent with people leaning in engine bay  ...

Use the manual link in this thread get basic understanding of your alarm .

44 minutes ago, Mr B said:

door boot or bonnet not shut or switch issue /

check the bonnet switch as they on a bracket that tends get bent with people leaning in engine bay  ...

Use the manual link in this thread get basic understanding of your alarm .

Is this the bit that you mean? It's quite rusty so I'm guessing that could be bent, doe'snt look easy to replace either!

IMG_20200815_155447.jpg

Yes, you can simply test with bonnet open by holding switch down with one hand and arming alarm from fob with other .

We relocate those switches sometimes as pretty poor effort by sigma .
Easy enough fab a bracket /use another generic alarm switch and lengthen wiring.
in a pinch easy enough jump the wires so alarm thinks switch always pushed in .

don't rule out doors and boot if bonnet switch doesn't appear at fault .

4 minutes ago, Mr B said:

you could keep the switch in with a cable tie for a temporary measure.

Is easy fix or relocate.

If garage charge to pricey picking up a used bracket online should not be too hard .

Yeah just having a look on eBay there's a few breaking Foresters so might just drop on one, thanks for the advice it's really appreciated.