Forester Diesel engine rebuild

AndrewRallye

Hi all, my beloved 2009 Forester has suffered a broken crank at approx 132k miles. I am possibly looking to rebuild the engine and would like to know the following if someone can help please.

1 Do the crank cases survive - requiring just crank and bearings?

2 What is the likely cause of the failure?

3 Will the injectors require replacement or rebuild?

4 Has anyone regularly rebuilt these engines due to crank failure?

5 What would be an expected cost to rebuild?

6 Will it be worth breaking, the car is in decent condition.

Any info would be gratefully received, I am absolutely gutted this has happened, the car is so useful and otherwise reliable so would like the chance to keep it longer.

Cheers, Andrew.

Don't bother, part of issue is the short block as they flex around main bearings and that helps the early crank versions fail .

They done about 3 crank and possibly 4 short block revisions and you best looking into fitting a better revision engine to your fozzy .
We actually got one in to do as above, purchased with same old crank failure (they worthless once busted which was nice for me buying but a killer for owners) :-/ and will be sourcing a used ee20 to get it back running in the new year .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr B said:

Don't bother, part of issue is the short block as they flex around main bearings and that helps the early crank versions fail .

They done about 3 crank and possibly 4 short block revisions and you best looking into fitting a better revision engine to your fozzy .
We actually got one in to do as above, purchased with same old crank failure (they worthless once busted which was nice for me buying but a killer for owners) :-/ and will be sourcing a used ee20 to get it back running in the new year .

Thank you Mr B, what would be the approximate cost of that? Are there many donor 'later' engines available? What would the value of the car as spares or repair?

Cheers.

At a guess from what I dealt with so far cost is about 2K if lucky. good revision diesel engines are worth more than your dead car . I see the foresters available at between 1K to 2K pending on finer details of spec mileage and overall condition.

One we bought is 09 75K in metallic grey with only body defect being minor light scrape on rear bumper corner, paid 1,400 . Getting right engine at right price is hard bit, could by 3 or 4 of the foresters as few dead ones about and costly fix unless can do a swap yourself .

Basically a good used late 2010 or early 2011 ee20 complete block minus accessories, swap over injectors and all external parts to the new salvage supplied assembled block using new oem gaskets etc as needed. exact gaskets needed will all be down to how your breaker supplies engine and your dismantling technique., you also want service items oil filter, air filter, coolant.  You will want review your clutch and dmf while engine out so could add another 500 .
Finding good used engine at sensible price is the hardest part but if you not in a major hurry you should do okay .