2015 STI Change of wheels TPMS Query.

AJ 8186

Recently acquired a second set of OE rims for my 2015 STI and the plan is to fit a set of winter tyres for use in the worst of the weather months. Need some advice on the purchase, fitting and linking of a set of TPMS valves that would be able to connect with the Subaru system on my vehicle. Is it a dealer only job to sort or are there generic systems that are compatible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Happy New year to you all.

I just fitted a set of winter wheels and tyres and I didn't bother getting the sensors fitted. It brings up a tpms light up on the dash but it doesn't bother me. The tyre fitter checked and he could have fitted a set for £40 each. That was a lot extra on top of the wheels and tyres. He said when I put my normal wheels back on it will reset. 

Norrie.

• Like 1

On 01/01/2018 at 5:32 PM, AJ 8186 said:

Recently acquired a second set of OE rims for my 2015 STI and the plan is to fit a set of winter tyres for use in the worst of the weather months. Need some advice on the purchase, fitting and linking of a set of TPMS valves that would be able to connect with the Subaru system on my vehicle. Is it a dealer only job to sort or are there generic systems that are compatible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Happy New year to you all.

Hi, I have equipment to sort you out ;) bought it before I swapped my wheels to some OZ Racing. Never used it though as my dealer done it for free :D I'm happy to help you out if needed to scan the tpms ids and coding them into car's computer. But since I never used it I would be learning how to :) the coding into computer bit is easy, just the scanner is new to me ;) give me a shout. Though I'm in London and just noticed you are 180miles away :D

tpms should be standardised and accessible via obd2 for easy data reading/programming . amazed subaru never set it up so could have 2 sets of sensors programmed.

you can clone sensors  which long term best method.

4 minutes ago, Mr B said:

tpms should be standardised and accessible via obd2 for easy data reading/programming . amazed subaru never set it up so could have 2 sets of sensors programmed.

you can clone sensors  which long term best method.

It's not just Subaru most if not all manufacturers don't care about tpms coding in the computer. They assume that customer will pay money to dealers to sort these things out ;) I got lucky with my dealer, I never asked them since I already ordered equipment, but they were kind enough to sort it out anyways. Makes a difference when dealership owner is a true car nut :D

Yes, all manufacturers should be implementing it as obd2 accessible at the least so owners can operate a tyre change/rotation (for position logged systems) or MOT prep car without ballache

tpms long term more ballache than help for basic motorist use, would of been way better implement reluctor sensors in abs data to observe rotational speeds under set parameters of steering angle etc to monitor low pressure via relative rotational speed and leave tpms for haulage vehicles etc .

must admit that following the tuning scene  in the states for this model it is apparent that most tuners delete the software for the TPMS in order to play around with tyre/wheel size without this problem. Unfortunately its an MOT fail in the UK. Guess its a suck it and see situation.