Crack in windscreen

Rizmo

Spotted 2 inch crack in XV windscreen, this morning. Went out and, on return, saw it was now 4 inch crack! Sounds like a new screen, with all the problems that brings. Wonder if Autoglass will manage to get, and fit, the right spec screen?

Happened  to me last winter with my old Forester, Nationwide windscreens did a god job with the glass but botched up the trim on the right side of the screen. Lost said trim on A1M just south of Stevenage. Crack propagated from a small stone chip across the bottom of the screen interesting to watch it grow. Glad for laminated screens as the older toughened screen would have shattered leaving the car full of glass and vulnerable to the local lowlife  scum.

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I changed to new xv in October and have had 2 windscreen chips last xv none in 30 months was told the glass is thinner because of eye-site any body know if this is correct ? 

^ Glass is thinner as easy area reduce weight at no additional manufacture cost and improve mpg which big concern for manufacturers these days . Not concerned enough spend out on few more alloy or polycarbonate panels though 😕

Hi,

Auto-glass came today and filled wind screen chip on my xv, And he said they do a lot of work on cars with camera's  and censers especially Ford/ Volvo/ & Vauxhall but this was his first Subaru. 

Hi, I have the same problem and will probably have to have a new screen but my screen has wiper blade heater elements and just wondered if anyone knows if these are replaced with the same spec when it goes through insurance.

I was waiting a bit before I ring them as I still have a £75.00 excess and havent got over christmas yet, thanks, Terry

On 1/9/2019 at 10:27 PM, pnw said:

Hi,

Auto-glass came today and filled wind screen chip on my xv, And he said they do a lot of work on cars with camera's  and censers especially Ford/ Volvo/ & Vauxhall but this was his first Subaru. 

On 1/9/2019 at 10:27 PM, pnw said:

Hi,

Hi Tesmil 1

If you insist on a genuine Subaru windscreen is fitted it will be the same as you have now, But will cost you more than standard replacement from any body else.

If you can get away with stone chip repair i would if not, Advise what screen you want ie with heater element or they just fit the cheapest sorry cant be of more help. 

22 hours ago, pnw said:

Hi Tesmil 1

If you insist on a genuine Subaru windscreen is fitted it will be the same as you have now, But will cost you more than standard replacement from any body else.

If you can get away with stone chip repair i would if not, Advise what screen you want ie with heater element or they just fit the cheapest sorry cant be of more help. 

I cant have a chip repair as the crack is about 5 inches long 🙁