EJ25 Oil pick up pipe issues

Been reading about the failures of the OEM oil pick up pipe. Quite common it seems even on low mileage cars. Anyone had the issue?

killer bee seems to be the only updated replacement  i can find. Are there other options?

£200 for the killer bee is cheap compared to a new motor. 

34505fd0852845a994463ed062afc8db.jpg

Been reading about the failures of the OEM oil pick up pipe. Quite common it seems even on low mileage cars. Anyone had the issue?

killer bee seems to be the only updated replacement  i can find. Are there other options?

£200 for the killer bee is cheap compared to a new motor. 

34505fd0852845a994463ed062afc8db.jpg.3c1d5383b26281fe2d0e9cfa8b87de32.jpg

Hello mate if your worried about ej25 engine issues just get it built before it fails , because there are many other issues to think of too , a built motor will give you years of paranoia free motoring. And will be a lot cheaper to have done before something fails than after

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, kershaw-330s said:

Hello mate if your worried about ej25 engine issues just get it built before it fails , because there are many other issues to think of too , a built motor will give you years of paranoia free motoring. And will be a lot cheaper to have done before something fails than after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I realise there are many possibilities for issues as with any car, but how many result in complete engine failure like a broken pick up pipe? Replacing this is cheap really for the piece of mind. Just wanted to work out where my money is best spent as my WRX has only 36k and I have just had it mapped. Car is all standard engine wise.

I realise there are many possibilities for issues as with any car, but how many result in complete engine failure like a broken pick up pipe? Replacing this is cheap really for the piece of mind. Just wanted to work out where my money is best spent as my WRX has only 36k and I have just had it mapped. Car is all standard engine wise.

I think ringland issues are more common , as well as head gaskets / head lifting , I’ve not seen anyone over here have an oil pick up fail ( mine was replaced with an uprated item when built )

,I was always optimistic thinking the 2.5 can’t be that bad , best way to avoid them is , firstly get an air oil separator , get a remap don’t bolt on anything without a map , and avoid WOT under 3.5 k (puts huge stress on the pistons ) , and also regular oil changes between 3 and 5 k using hi grade oils ,,,, following those guidelines could prolong the life of the engine although if it’s going to go it’s gona go no matter what you do unfortunately , as I found out myself ( read my project thread ) ,, but now I tend to say if your lucky and manage to swerve the inherent faults with the 2.5 , the bottom end bearings are going to fail around 100k at most I would say , and that’s a full rebuild then anyway .
I know Alan j does a drive in drive out forged engine build starting at 3.5 k and can go upto whatever you want , obv I understand this isn’t in everyone’s budget but if defo worth looking into , as they’re really good cars otherwise and to change to something that’s as quick and as practical , would prob cost more ,,, also scooby hatches with built engines fetch a much better premium

1 minute ago, kershaw-330s said:

I think ringland issues are more common , as well as head gaskets / head lifting , I’ve not seen anyone over here have an oil pick up fail ( mine was replaced with an uprated item when built )

,I was always optimistic thinking the 2.5 can’t be that bad , best way to avoid them is , firstly get an air oil separator , get a remap don’t bolt on anything without a map , and avoid WOT under 3.5 k (puts huge stress on the pistons ) , and also regular oil changes between 3 and 5 k using hi grade oils ,,,, following those guidelines could prolong the life of the engine although if it’s going to go it’s gona go no matter what you do unfortunately , as I found out myself ( read my project thread ) ,, but now I tend to say if your lucky and manage to swerve the inherent faults with the 2.5 , the bottom end bearings are going to fail around 100k at most I would say , and that’s a full rebuild then anyway .
I know Alan j does a drive in drive out forged engine build starting at 3.5 k and can go upto whatever you want , obv I understand this isn’t in everyone’s budget but if defo worth looking into , as they’re really good cars otherwise and to change to something that’s as quick and as practical , would prob cost more ,,, also scooby hatches with built engines fetch a much better premium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Kershaw,

Sounds like I am doing the right thing. I first uprated the brakes added an air oil separator and last week had her mapped by Duncan @ racedynamix. Car has only done 36k so I should be all right for a while. I hate struggling any car at low RPM, pet hate. I think 2.5 gets treated a bit unfairly as in standard form it is probably ok but how many kids bolt things on and as you say do not get it mapped. Poor motors being over boosted running on oil that has not been changed in 12+K etc... Regular services and fluids and sensible mods with a map will make them last much longer.

Thanks Kershaw,
Sounds like I am doing the right thing. I first uprated the brakes added an air oil separator and last week had her mapped by Duncan @ racedynamix. Car has only done 36k so I should be all right for a while. I hate struggling any car at low RPM, pet hate. I think 2.5 gets treated a bit unfairly as in standard form it is probably ok but how many kids bolt things on and as you say do not get it mapped. Poor motors being over boosted running on oil that has not been changed in 12+K etc... Regular services and fluids and sensible mods with a map will make them last much longer.

Yes and as your a wrx ? if I’ve read that correctly. they’re not as prone nor are the foresters . the import Fsti is a 2.5 and I’m not sure they have the same issues either ( but I could be wrong ) but it is just pot luck at the end of the day ,

I think like you say people don’t look after them properly or they buy an sti or wrx see the badge and assume you can go around everywhere smashing it off the limiter then wonder why the engine failed lol , but just be careful check your oil regularly and take note if it’s consuming any oil or coolant

• Thanks 1