Tyre Alternatives

Jesse James

Hi all,

it has come to the time where the tyres will need replacing on my sti hatch. does anyone have any recommendations? i have looked at pilot sports 4's as an option but i will take any guidance i can get.

cheers guys

Jesse  

Personal choice is always the deciding factor, since many of the premium tyres are all good.
I have a set of Avon ZV5s on mine, really like them. They were really good in the snow we had earlier this year, despite being a summer tyre.
I will definitely be looking for a set of the newer ZV7s when I next need tyres.
I had continental premium contact 5s on my previous car, wouldnt go back to them. The straight line grip is ok, but they have rounded flexible sidewalls, bouncy ride, less stable in the corners. They also wear fairly fast too.

12 minutes ago, Ric said:

Personal choice is always the deciding factor, since many of the premium tyres are all good.
I have a set of Avon ZV5s on mine, really like them. They were really good in the snow we had earlier this year, despite being a summer tyre.
I will definitely be looking for a set of the newer ZV7s when I next need tyres.
I had continental premium contact 5s on my previous car, wouldnt go back to them. The straight line grip is ok, but they have rounded flexible sidewalls, bouncy ride, less stable in the corners. They also wear fairly fast too.

I always had Avon on my last car, cheers mate this is not the most active forum so I appreciate the advice. 

No worries. I think the Michelin pilot sports are also a favorite on here, so its up to you whats available where you are, and best prices.
I dont think there is a wrong choice between them. I dont have much personal experience with other brands.
There is section for suspension tyres and wheels, so you may have faster responses in there. Most of the guys on here are really good, generally.
Not generally a hatch person myself, but it looks good 😉

Usage and personal preference play a big part in tyre choice , i prefer not to have a really soft compound to avoid scrub . As Pirelli neros i found to be great for traction but the side walls wear far to easily but i also had some khumo Estrada's which didn't wear but lacked grip and were quite noisy .

My current happy medium is firestone firehawks which seem to perform well all round .

Have a squint on blackcircles and compare noise , weather and compound ratings to see if you spot something that catches your eye 😉 

I have Toyo proxe T1R's and really get on with them, my mate has uniroyal rainsport 3's and swears by them.

The way he chucks his car round roundabouts and doesnt lose grip i have been tempted to try them myself lol