Forester 2010 "Knocking" when clutch depressed

Robuk

Hi all

Hoping someone may be able to help.....

Bought a 2010 Forester 2.0 D in early May knowing there was possibly a Dual Mass flywheel problem. Had the fly wheel replaced, after it had sat outside his garage for a month, wasn't happy,  with an original part, plus a new Sachs clutch and release bearing fitted but now everytime I depress the clutch peddle there is what seems to be a "knocking" coming from the area of the clutch/flywheel and can be felt through the clutch peddle..... This was how the garage gave it back to me, so immediately complained and was told not their fault/problem and it must be a gearbox problem....... Gearbox was fully re-conned in September last year by a Subaru dealer. 

So took the car to another garage, as the original garage owner, single trader, has gone on holiday for two weeks the evening of getting the car back. The release bearing had failed so a new Sachs release bearing was bought and fitted and everything put back together, but half way through the "refit" before the clutch peddle was re connected etc they checked the workings and there didn't seem to be any problem and no noise coming from the clutch/dual mass, so continued to put everything back together.

After all been put back together, depressed the clutch peddle and the noise was back :( so I and this garage are at a loss at what it may be.... they have recommended I get another dual mass and try that but this means even more outlay on a hope and a prayer, so Has anyone else had this problem and could possibly let me know 1. what it possibly is, and 2. Is it rectifiable....

Cheers for everyones help in advance

Rob

Seems only happening depressed and was not like it on old clutch I would be suspicious of the sachs clutch cover.

Clutches we like using on these is LUK .

Your original garage handled issue badly which left you in this scenario .They should of eaten labour costs on second removal and pushed supplier for replacement kit .
It going have to be pulled again and needs full investigation and all parts swapped unless can narrow down a fault .

Hi Mr B

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated...... yep the original garage handled it really badly, he's still on holiday so will oct him out when he returns......

Spoke to an indépendant Subaru repairer this afternoon, and I will be in their tomorrow to see if he can diagnose the problem, and really appreciate the Sachs info as I'm hoping its something easy like that..... 

Cheers again

Rob

• 1 month later...

Hi Rob,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this knocking?

I have the same year and model and same noise but Ive had the car 3 years and 30,000 miles and its always done it!

Doesnt seem to have got worse.

Craig

Hi Craig

Nope not got to the bottom of it, but the motor has been off the road for the last three weeks + and I'm just deciding what I'm going to do going forward...... 😞

Really interesting that you have the same noise, and no "other" problems when driving it.... would be good to talk over the phone to compare more if it is the same thing happening...

Cheers for your post much appreciated 🙂

Rob