1998 Impreza 4wd, rear right axle shudders and clunks when braking.

syrahnose

hi, I'm new and posting from France about my 1998 Impreza sport 4wd, rear right axle shudders and clunks when braking. This just started happening after I took it in to have brakes pads replaced. Mechanic showed me a problem with right rear axle which he could move back and forth (on differential side I think). He thought it was a transmission issue, but the French don't work on Subarus much and there is no local dealer to take it to, so I need to have him or me fix it. I'm assuming the back differential is more complex than normal car's differential because of 4wheel drive? Although it seems a relatively smaller box. The shudder only occurs on right rear side and only when braking. Odd it suddenly happened after brakes were worked on. BTW, he didn't replace pads/drums because he said drums were oily and that's the reason brakes were failing. Honest guy, he could have socked me for 4 new sets. 

thanks for your input. He did show me that the axle moved back and forth when you grabbed it and shoved it around, whereas the other side was solid. My sense is it is more about where the axle meets the transaxle, than the brake drum side. I think only the front wheels have disc brakes. But perhaps I'm not understanding the mechanics of it. 

Would the disc cause the axle to clunk and shudder? 

Working back from process of braking. I assume when brakes are applied they slow/ stop the wheel and the axle, and it works its way back through the gears in differential/transaxle. If if the clunking sound is related to a broken bearing somewhere or gear that had broken and is not connecting axle as normal. 

I was assuming it had discs on the rear too but if it hasn't, it won't be that. Just strange how it has only just shown these symptoms.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

thanks for following, yes, that was a logical assumption on your part.

Now I'm wondering, after searching youtube, whether it might be a broken inner CV joint. Anyone had this problem. 

If it’s driving ok then I can’t see it being drive train related. I may be wrong though. I’d check all the droplink bolts, bushes, control arm,  anti roll bar, struts... its really strange that he can move one side and you didn’t have a problem before you took it in? 

^
As above, if it makes not 1 sign of noise when driving through gears, doing tight turns forward and reverse it very unlikely be diff or driveshaft related .

as does it when braking only I would be checking brakes fully first , If it drums on rear that oily mess will be brake fluid from leaking brake wheel cylinder.

If I had to guess, drums on these can be a real ***** to get off and someone not knowing subarus and being less than competent mechanic could damage brake lining, wheel cylinder and even wheel bearing if got real rough trying hammer stuck brake drum off with slide hammer etc .

I would be highly suspicious your mechanic made brakes/hub worse try gain access to them then gave up giving you car back in state its in .

Needs be looked at by competent mechanic and resolved asap .

Many of the youtube videos I've checked have similar noise symptoms that occur with front cv joints. I can't find any references to rear axles when braking. And the sound only occurs when braking, increasing sounds as I increase brake pressure. It is a regular  (circular?) clicking and clanking noises, although shudder was wrong word to describe originally. 

So MattB's point is well taken. As is Mr Bs. There is no sound when putting through gears or driving. It only occurs when braking. So perhaps he did do something when checking drums to clean that didn't get reinstalled when he reassembled this. I was gong to have him check out the axle/CV system, but I'll ask him again about if they might have been a problem with Brake reassembly. and to fix that first.

Again, thanks for your thoughts. 

The more and more I think, what you've said makes more logical sense. the chief mechanic did seem to be delegating to 2 very young guys, who may very well have gotten a bit rough with a tight drum. 

And Subarus are rare as hen's teeth here in France so I'm sure they aren't used to working on them as seems like 80% of cars are French.

I have to say this old Impreza has been amazingly trouble free for the last 4 years I've had it. It may sit outside for 6 months at our holiday home without moving and it ALLWAYS fires up on first turn of key. It's got 184k on it now so I was worried it might start having major issues, but it just runs and runs. This is the first problem I've had. 

I've got a 99 forester with 250K on it and have a real old legacy just over 200K

They super reliable and well built .

Almost 100% unlikely anything wrong with drivetrain/driveshaft only going make noise when apply brakes .

I pretty much can guarantee it will more likely be brake issue, they super simple work on compared to Peugeot for examples .

Brake parts are cheap, decent drums quite expensive and cheap ones not worth using . expect your drums reusable and can be refinished on a lathe .

You could try looking/removing a drum yourself as bit of inspection and get idea of likely issues, drum has 2 thread holes to help removal using 2 bolts, you may need rewind brake adjusters if drum heavily ridged .

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for ongoing input. i've crawl under with rear wheels on blocks and moved axles around. there is a bit of play in rt rear axle, but not much. Next I'll put up on 4 blocks and have someone run wheels and brake, get a hear if its in brakes or not. Then I'll chase brakes up as you suggest. 

My problem is nearest Subaru dealer is 60 miles away and even then, being France, I'm not sure they'd have any 1998 parts in stock. I'll keep you all up on what's next. 

I would stay away from dealer as the be expensive for parts and won't have much working experience on older car scenarios.

If want brake parts you best buying off eBay, set of rear shoes for example is only around 18GBP for apec or Brembo and wheel cylinders are about same price from apec or ADL Blueprint .

If you think it brakes after more testing try pulling drums off to visually inspect and plan part requirement ...

• 1 year later...