Legacy general questions

00mike00

Hi all,

I’ve just stuck a post with photo in the introduction part of the forum. I hope it’s OK listing a few things here, I thought it’d be best instead of multiple posts.

Firstly the Legacy is my first Subaru, I like the drive, it feels solid and well put together. I have the 2.0L 4WD setup and so far my only negative comment is that it feels underpowered. Once I get her moving however, if you’re a decent driver, you’ll make good progress. The car is standard with the exception of springs, cat back exhaust and an aftermarket air filter. Is it an understood opinion about the 2.0L or do I sound like I’m expecting too much from the boxer engine?

She needs the air con re-gassing and I’ve been quoted £90 all in. I’ve never had to do it, so is this the going rate for the job or should I go elsewhere?

Lastly Is there somewhere I should look on the forum for the basic maintenance info? I wanted to do an oil change and look at other procedures.

I can’t think of anything else for now, thanks in advance!

Unfortunately i don't know much about normally aspirated boxer engines but the 2ltr na is the smallest hp engine subaru put in the leggy . So it probably would feel a little underpowered in comparison to the 3ltr or turbo versions. 

Think most tend to upgrade brakes and suspension in order to make the most of the 4wd and low centre of gravity layout that the boxer lump has . As power upgrades and remaps don't really give you much bang for your buck on a N.A engine 😕

General maintenance is fairly easy with a diy tool kit and a bit of mechanical knowledge,  oil change is pretty much the same as any engine .only tips I'd give would be to fill the new oil filter with fresh oil before fitting and wait a good 30 mins to check the new oil levels . As it takes a while for the oil to drain into the sump .

Spark plugs are a pain the first time , so get a swear tin at the ready but once you've removed the air box and screen wash bottle they're fairly accessible. 

On 7/4/2018 at 2:35 PM, savage bulldogs said:

Unfortunately i don't know much about normally aspirated boxer engines but the 2ltr na is the smallest hp engine subaru put in the leggy . So it probably would feel a little underpowered in comparison to the 3ltr or turbo versions. 

Think most tend to upgrade brakes and suspension in order to make the most of the 4wd and low centre of gravity layout that the boxer lump has . As power upgrades and remaps don't really give you much bang for your buck on a N.A engine 😕

General maintenance is fairly easy with a diy tool kit and a bit of mechanical knowledge,  oil change is pretty much the same as any engine .only tips I'd give would be to fill the new oil filter with fresh oil before fitting and wait a good 30 mins to check the new oil levels . As it takes a while for the oil to drain into the sump .

Spark plugs are a pain the first time , so get a swear tin at the ready but once you've removed the air box and screen wash bottle they're fairly accessible. 

Cheers for the info chap. I’ve done many an oil change on older cars…I haven’t owned anything newer than 1990 in about ten years!

I imagine it’s fairly straight forward but if I haven’t got a Haynes to hand, where can I go online to assist in some general service operations?

Thanks