Forester 2.0 XT rear shocks

Twocues

I got a quote from a Subaru main dealer of £1,100 plus VAT for the two rear shocks and I am told they are very expensive as they are the self levelling type. I am not technical but did an internet search and Pedders do a non self leveling strut with uprated springs around £450 the pair to purchase , so a lot cheaper, hence the query

• 2 weeks later...

A few of the guys on the forester.org forum have gone the Pedders route and they seem pleased with the results.

I need to replace the struts/springs on my own vehicle in the near future and I am intending to use the Pedders lowered package too.

does the car have factory fit hid lights? that's the only legal mot reason needed for self levelling, otherwise it's just a comfort thing, if your happy to sacrifice comfort (minimal difference) then i'd go for the cheaper ones, but if you have factory hid's then it's all down to the mot tester, if he wants to be strict he can fail hids of the correct requirements aren't met, they are

self levelling suspension

projector unit for the hid bulb

headlight washers

It does seem weird to have both systems in place :huh: 

It concerned me as I am considering replacing the stock SLS rears with Pedders units and I was worried about the MOT aspect as you said.

I got my son to jump around in the back of the car while the lights were on and you can hear the motor whirring in the headlight units to adjust the beam height - so all should be good to loose the SLS struts and stay legal.  :)

• Like 1

I got my son to jump around in the back of the car while the lights were on and you can hear the motor whirring in the headlight units to adjust the beam height   :)

great use of child labour :D

• Like 1

ahh right i see what you mean now, i think we have our wires crossed mate, the self levelling units on the suspension don't just adjust the shockers they use the signals to adjust the headlights, the motors are self levelling but they need the sensors on the shocks to know whats going on, if that makes sense?

ahh right i see what you mean now, i think we have our wires crossed mate, the self levelling units on the suspension don't just adjust the shockers they use the signals to adjust the headlights, the motors are self levelling but they need the sensors on the shocks to know whats going on, if that makes sense?

I'm pretty sure they are independent of one another - as the cannisters that sit on the rear strut legs are a purely pneumatic system and don't adjust the rear ride height until a few miles of driving with a load in the rear - no fancy electronics at work at that end.

Whereas the motors on the headlights adjust the beam pretty much instantly as soon as the lights/ignition come on.