Emissions Control warning light

Sherbs

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum! I have a 2015 Forester (my OH has an Impreza, you could say we are Subaru fans). My 3 year old car, not high mileage, has just come up with a warning light for the Emissions Control, and the cruise control sign is flashing.  Cruise control is disabled, which seems standard with this warning from what I have read and for the first time the car has stopped telling me when to change gear. My son has a code reader and that tells us glow plug number 3 is the problem. My OH says a glow plug is cheap and the main dealer is an hour's drive away, so I'd rather not have to drive there and pay them a lot of money to have them tell us what we already know but we are aware the glow plugs can snap if they seize in, or that it could be a connection rather than the actual plug. Has anyone else had this problem on a diesel Forester? I understand it was common in the older models. And if you have come across it, would you recommend trying to change the plug yourself or take it to the dealer? I'm really disappointed my car has had anything go wrong at such an early stage in it's life. 

Check the glow plug connection clean as debris here can cause it short.

simply check the plug resistance/open circuit with a multimeter .

Wouldn't use a main dealer as they can get silly prices on these and part aftermarket is easy get .

I pull plugs with engine hot, can be super tight but gentle slow approach of back and forth 1/4 turns generally gets them out, gentle and slow saves money and drama on these .

• Thanks 1

Thank you Mr B, my OH checked it with his multi meter and cleaned the plug connection, it's definitely the glow plug. The main dealer where we bought it can't even look at it for over a week but we don't want to do anything to it at the moment because we really need the car. So we're intending to carry on using it for the moment and we have ordered some glow plugs. I was thinking that if we take it to the main dealer and they get it wrong taking the plug out they ought to fix it, whereas if we get it wrong that's a big problem. But my son changed all the glow plugs on his elderly Honda civic with no problems at all. So I think I will let them have a go at changing it at home! 

Dealer will charge you if it breaks off don't assume they cover it free ... dealer rates are ridiculous .

Try yourself or use a good independent  ...

These are known to potentially snap off so be gentle, work it slow, back and forth quarter turns .