Best all rounder?

Nick Revels

Hi to All, thanks for reading this, my first post.

I'm based down south, have a Mk 2 MX5 (current hill climb car but fallen out of love with it) and a 07 plate Beamer 520 estate E61 for towing, hauling kayaks and camping stuff.  Last time at Gurston hill climb an Impreza Wagon set an impressive time.  Made me think ... the old beamer with 150 k on the clock,  I'm getting bored with the Mazzer, I've tried my mate's Proton Satria Gti - fun, but didn't really take to front wheel drive on the hill.

Any ideas for the perfect all-rounder - I think it may be the Impreza Wagon 2nd Gen - large enough to carry clobber and a 4WD hill climb car when I get there.  It must be up to 2 litre, and non-turbo, so I can stay in the under 2L class, (if you have a turbo, you have to multiply engine capacity x 1.4), and this would put me in with all the 'grown up' scoobies and evos,  etc.  Plus, what in practise is the best power to weight of the different versions of the wagon, that is also best for getting re-mapped for max torque across rev range.  

Seen some 06 or 07 around £3-4k, but might be persuaded to spend a bit more, plus decent set of tyres and remapping etc after.

Glad to hear from anyone!

Hi n welcome,  unfortunately there's not many gains to be had from remapping a non turbo . Think theyre about 160hp as standard which isn't bad for a 2ltr na .

Most na owners tend to concentrate on handling,  lightening and braking mods . To make the most of the low centre of gravity boxer layout and awd system ,instead of spending £600 ish to gain 15hp by remapping . A first gen (classic) would probably be 200kg lighter ,so might make a better option /hill climb time .you'd have to google to see if there's any difference in 0 to 60 times to be sure though . 

Probably shouldn't say this lol but another option would be to speak to a mate of mine @ g19 engineering .

As Doug does mx5 turbo conversions for about £2k all in . 

Thanks for your helpful reply, savage bulldogs.  

160 bhp na would do me, as it is Road-going production class. Would definitely work on suspension and handling, quite agree.  Decent wheels, tyres and proper alignment for sure.  Take out the mats and spare tyre.

Recommendations for remapping and engine tweaks down South?

MX-5 is a stock RS import, needs to stay as is, but appreciate the thought.

Im in east Anglia, so can't really help but hopefully someone more local to you can recommend a reputable tuner near by .

Best of luck with the search 👍

Edited in ....

Dunno how south west you are but the only 1 i can think of is Alan Jefferies @ enginetuner in Plymouth. 

• 3 weeks later...