TRACTION CONTROL + LSD in 2005 3.0R?

LINCH

Hello.

After a very disappointing 4 years with a Volvo XC70 that spat its 4x4 transmission twice, I eventually found a lovely 40,000 mile Outback R from 2005, and snapped it up within 24 hours of the advertisement going out, just a month or so ago. It's for my wife, and she loves it - much nicer to drive than the XC, although significantly less torque, it should be said. 

I've checked out the 4x4 system so far as I can in a field and in the woods, and seem to find that there is no functioning limited slip differential (LSD) at the back, nor brake operated traction control. I state this because, when I get it cross-axled (opposite corner wheels in the air and spinning) the car ceases forward progress - with functioning LSD or TC, then I would expect it to be able to move forward as torque is transferred to the non-spinning wheel(s). 

I was under the impression that all 3.0s had both traction control on both axles and LSD in the rear. It certainly has TC fitted - there is a switch to deselect it to the left of the steering wheel.

My questions:

1 Should the TC not activate the brake on a spinning wheel in order to direct the torque to the wheel that is not spinning on that axle? That is the only type of TC I am familiar with.

2 Do these models all have LSD fitted in the rear axle or not? If not, is there some indication in the VIN or some other way of finding out whether or not it is fitted? 

Thanks for advice and information, which is all much appreciated. I do plan to take it to the local dealer (in Beauly, Highland) to assess the TC, but I'd like to get as much background info as possible, first. 

Regards, Linton 

Thank you. I had previously found that site, and I'm now pretty sure there's no LSD.

The good news is that a repeat exercise in the woods, with a heavier right foot, revealed that the traction control is working. You just need to keep the pedal down deeper and longer than I expected, in order to give the system enough time and torque to activate. 

So, very happy to find it's all working.

And really enjoying driving the car 🙂

My red lines below, indicate the system I have, it seems.

New Bitmap Image.jpg