Parts needed

Ramsay

Following an already expensive MOT, I need a new rear diff for my 2002 Forester 2.0 S turbo and wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of a good breakers or other source for a used/recon unit? I also need a couple of tyres. Any advice on good budget hoops?

eBay for diff, search for forester turbo breaking as well, average price is probably 100 + - 20, can be found cheap but never when want it or never local .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=forester+turbo+rear+diff&_sacat=0

Mixing tyres on awd is bad idea ( best way killing transmission and running gear or the family) If other 2 tyres not close to new you need a full set and sell the part worns .

this is about as cheap as can go for tyres, would buy better if can though as cheap tyres never last well thus not that cheap in long term .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-3-4-x-215-60R16-93V-ALFAMOTORS-DK558-NEW-QUALITY-TYRES-LOW-PRICE-BUDGET/223115535260

Many thanks for the advice. Got a diff for a decent price, though it's about 200 miles away so delivery gonna be about as much as the part. And I get what you're saying about tyres. Car's only worth about a grand so not gonna go £100 a corner, but am a believer in 'buy cheap, buy twice'. Replacing them all at the same time makes sense on an AWD when you think about it. These look promising...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-2-X-215-60-R16-99H-XL-HAIDA-HD668-NEW-TYRES-AMAZING-WET-GRIP-C-2156016-NEW/183336472938?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Dd297a129483b4fbf9d9231e9ee1ab6dc%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D132845006129%26itm%3D183336472938&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Acd2f3813-e725-11e8-b769-74dbd180291e|parentrq%3A0c6224161670a99b18a0c546fffb758c|iid%3A1

WRT the tyres - whilst the motor is only worth financially 1k to you that actual physical capability value is beyond that plus given you have quite a bit if poke under the bonnet I would not be afraid to spend on tyres and brakes.

I would look at a good dual purpose like the michelin cross climate particularly as the winter is coming up - another thread has mentioned a deal on at cost co online at the moment for these tyres.

Cheap tyres on a turbo awd never a great concept, If intend keep car for more than couple years buy half decent tyres as UK weather and roads needs it .

The other issue is rolling circumference difference of old and new and brand mix tyres winds the diffs up and stresses transmission and drive train massively, also the differing grip levels can create handling issues .Plus with miss match tyres you can never rotate tyres correctly so wear uneven and points above become bigger issue .

I can understand not wanting pay 400 to 500  but you need spend around 50 to70 a corner. eBay can make tyres cheap if hold out for a eBay 10 or 20% coupon code.

Hankook kinergy 4s H740 another pretty decent option at mid level cost .

The Maxxis all seasons I linked in other thread pretty nice for lowish cost .

The alfamotors I linked to have good euro ratings and are V rated and very cheap if price point needed .

Never cheap out too much on tyres, brakes or suspension parts in general as quality of some of the stuff in the market today is  frightening .also realise your value and family safety value ... choose wisely .

• Like 1

Thanks for advice guys. After looking around, looks like Maxxis AP2s are a good bet. Pneus have them for about £60 a pop and local garage can fit them. And I’m gonna get four, which will be fitted after the new diff. Cheers Mark

👍

one of better options for lowish cost, good move on full set .

Will pay you back in less agro . One of hardest things I got push customers is decent full set of tyres, pointless having awd and !Removed! tyres and if like family safety then it small money well spent .

• Like 1