A new owner and some questions, help!

KenEi

Hello everyone! 

My names Ken and i recently bought a used Subaru Legacy 2008 (Petrol Powered, 110Kw) Estate car a month ago as my first car!
When i bought it it had about 241,000 KM done on it but i've been driving around it and testing its limits and its done quite well for me. I have a colleague who's driven all kinds of Subaru's and she told me - "Once you Subaru, it will take your hands and legs and never let go". That is certainly the case with mine, i never ever want to go back to anything else :) 
I live outside of the main city where i am, and to own a competant "4 Wheel drive" car has certainly been my main goal after driving a harsh winter with my previous front wheel powered Opel.

Altough i've developed some questions and i hope that you may be of help to me. 
The main question actually comes from the gearbox. I've noticed that sometimes the first gear doesn't want to go in very smoothly and when i switch from second to third gear then i feel a slight crackle of the gear wheels when putting from neutral to the third (or sometimes to the fourth gear). Is this something normal? When i bought the car then the previous owner told me he had the gearbox recently maintained, but since i haven't driven many cars, i don't know if its a "Subaru thing" or not. 
Another thing i noticed is when i try to reverse. After having the first gear in, the reverse gear doesn't really want to go in at all, it's only after i release the clutch and set it to neutral i can put the reverse gear in and goes smoothly. 

But these problems tend to go away after my first 15 min. of driving, so i don't know how to react. 
The other question is - At what revs do you usually switch gears, because i've seen completely different opinnions from one owner to another.

Since i want to take Very very very good care of this car, then any advice in regards to owning my first car and owning my first Subaru would be much appreciated. 

Thank you.
A proud new owner of a Subaru,
Ken

Welcome. You’re right, they really have something about them that other cars just can’t seem to tick the boxes! 

I’d say the gearbox sounds fairly normal to be honest, they have a habit of being a bit juddery, although it might be worth getting somebody to check over all the bushes and mounts on the gearbox and diff just to double check. I find mine will only ever really want to go into first from a complete standstill. Reverse is exactly as you describe too, it’ll go in a lot easier with a slower motion, I think it’s probably designed that way to stop you doing it by accident while driving along. 

Change gear at whatever revs feels right, the engines are designed to withstand being revved to the limiter that’s on there, obviously not all the time though. I would say it’s fairly important to let the car come up to temperature before giving it too much of the loud pedal, I tend to keep mine under 3kish rpm during this time. 

Good general maintenance, regular oil changes - every 3000 miles is ideal. Cambelt at the proper intervals (can’t remember it now but I’m sure someone will). Get into a good habit of checking your oil and coolant regularly, weekly will be fine. 

Most of all, keep enjoying it! 

Hello Sam,

Thank you for your feedback, ill get it looked after 🙂
After i bought it i went to a Subaru Dealership and they had a through inspection of the car and it came out quite well altough with a few remarks on the paper. 
Two more things that i wanted ask for: 

1 - It turns out that the front headlight glasses have a bit of fog in them 
image.png.de3ea1fac23d56e98a18a9ab2a2852bf.png

Is this something i should be concerned about right away or can i brush it off and blame the damp weather for it? 

2 - Given that it has done over 242,000 KM (150371 Miles), would it be too stubborn of me to believe it will drive for another 150,000 km before the engine gives out? 

Thanks again! 

I wouldn’t worry about the fog too much. Sometimes a hairdryer can help a bit but you should find as the weather dries out it’ll sort itself out. 

If you stick to your service schedule religiously I don’t see any reason why it won’t. The N/A Subaru engines are pretty reliable on the whole, 99% of the time it’s poor maintenance that kills them, not any fundamental design flaws.