Clutch judder in an STI

Andy69

Hi, I have a 2016 WRX STI with 25000 miles and have a slight juddering of the clutch as it engages. This is most noticable if I move the car slowly with no throttle in 1st or reverse and the clutch pedal is just high enough for the clutch to engage. (With the clutch fully engaged and the car moving at walking pace, all is fine with no judder of course). It sometimes is noticable when pulling away from rest out of a junction. Is this something to be concerned about, as the car is soon to come out of warranty. It has always done this since I bought the car in February. Oddly enough, it seems to be worse in damp and wet weather.

I have mentioned it to the dealer and they say this is normal for STI's.

Many thanks.

I have heard that judder is fairly common but I've only experienced it a few times in 8yrs and 3 scoobies.  It only seemed to happen if the car had been sitting for a long time (over a month) and after the first hard launch it went .

I just assumed it was dirt /surface rust or a glaze on the flywheel/clutch plate ,  that burnt off when launched .

Cheap replacement or paddle clutches can be more prone to judder but with the low mileage on yours I doubt it would've been replaced. 

Do you know if the clutch fluid has been refreshed recently?  As it often gets forgotten at service time and is prone to degrade due to the clutch reservoir being located directly over the turbo hotside. A fluid refresh can sometimes resolve numerous clutch issues .

Oil contamination can cause judder /slip too, so maybe check the underside of the bellhousing (where engine and box join) for any tell tale signs of oil leakage from the crank rear oil seal or gearbox idle shaft .

If there is a leak theres a inspection bung under the tmic to look at the back of the flywheel and a plate near the bellhousing underneath,  to check the clutch side .

Hi, thanks for the reply... It was serviced very recently and I have mentioned about the clutch as it was like it when I first got the car. But I didn't notice the clutch judder until a few days afterwards. I am not a mechanic but I cannot see any oil leaking by looking with a torch under the car from the side.

I am quite concerned about it to be honest, but the dealer was certain it was normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Good news, my dealer has replaced the clutch assembly under warranty and the problem has gone.😁 Not only that, the clutch feels better with a more positive, smoother clutch engagement and the pedal is not as stiff as before. The old clutch was slightly worn unevenly and burnt.

As I am the new owner of the car, I of course do not know how it had been treated previously. But I am very happy now it is fixed. So it is with thanks to my local Subaru dealer MTC Cars for getting it sorted. 👍