V4 uk2000 Ej20k which engines fit ?

Paul888

Hi all got suspicion head gasket has gone . Did test and fluid hasn’t gone yellow as stated but dark green so i’m presuming it’s a small combustion leak. I might do it again to double check. 

Anyway my question is,what engines can i fit that won’t require changing looms etc . 

I want to upgrade maybe an sti lump or ej207 but not sure if i can still use my ecu to run these, or i’ll need ecu as well. 

The ecu i have is an S8,which is a sti ecu anyway,according to what i’ve read. 

I just wanted to take one engine out and drop another in without any rebuild etc 

The ej207 can be fitted to any classic but there's a lot to be swapped over and you'd be better off using a donor newage sti . ECU harness, ECU, engine loom ,complete engine and auxiliaries ect . Or It can be done with the likes of a jtinnovations avcs loom and aftermarket ECU (link g4+ or syvecs).

V3 and v4 are pretty much the same ,so straight swap long engine with either your old engines inlet and auxiliaries or the new engines inlet and auxiliaries. 

V1 and v2 long engines (block and heads) will fit but you'll need to fit your existing....

Water crossover pipe ,complete inlet (sensors ,single coilpack,fuel rails ect)  ,engine loom ,intake pipework, p.s pump ,turbo .

The main thing regarding fuelling is that your injectors are the same size to suit your existing ECU (Yellow 440cc or grey 380cc ) .

But even if you fit the same injectors,  the difference between sti higher lift cams and turbo size differences that the ECU is suited to , could cause fuelling issues .

So I'd definitely get the car on a dyno to check it's running healthy after fitting. 

If you're looking at doing the swap yourself,  I've done a v1 to v3 ,then a v3 back to v1 swap and there's some pics n tips on my "sticky build thread " 😉

5 minutes ago, savage bulldogs said:

The ej207 can be fitted to any classic but there's a lot to be swapped over and you'd be better off using a donor newage sti . ECU harness, ECU, engine loom ,complete engine and auxiliaries ect . Or It can be done with the likes of a jtinnovations avcs loom and aftermarket ECU (link g4+ or syvecs).

V3 and v4 are pretty much the same ,so straight swap long engine with either your old engines inlet and auxiliaries or the new engines inlet and auxiliaries. 

V1 and v2 long engines (block and heads) will fit but you'll need to fit your existing....

Water crossover pipe ,complete inlet (sensors ,single coilpack,fuel rails ect)  ,engine loom ,intake pipework, p.s pump ,turbo .

The main thing regarding fuelling is that your injectors are the same size to suit your existing ECU (Yellow 440cc or grey 380cc ) .

But even if you fit the same injectors,  the difference between sti higher lift cams and turbo size differences that the ECU is suited to , could cause fuelling issues .

So I'd definitely get the car on a dyno to check it's running healthy after fitting. 

If you're looking at doing the swap yourself,  I've done a v1 to v3 ,then a v3 back to v1 swap and there's some pics n tips on my "sticky build thread " 😉

Thanks for such a concise reply much appreciated Savage 👊

I’ll have to come to a decision sooner or later problem being i don’t a garage anymore so what ever i do will be outside on the road, hence why i just wanted to more or less do a straight swap as easy as poss, perhaps a sti v3-4 might be the way to go. I have Grey’s on the engine at the moment so i’d have to upgrade to yellows if i went sti. 

10 minutes ago, savage bulldogs said:

No problem, bud 👍

I don't own a garage either, engine built on the kitchen table and fitted in the back garden lol .

The ecu would need to match the injectors and ideally turbo to get the most outta a sti engine swap 

Nice one, we moved to a flat so not even a garden these days 😕 

According to what i’ve read my ecu is an Sti Ej20k ecu (yellow 3 plug),so presume if i buy yellows to match all will be fine. And get it rolling roaded to check all is ok. 

Ill check out your threads on swaps . 

Cheers mate 

You'd have to Google ECU numbers and cross reference them with....

engines UK and wrx cams are the same ,sti are high lift .

Turbos ,variety fitted to each model ,so too big = lean (melty stuff) to small = rich (bore wash) 

Injectors pretty much same as turbos .

If you find a engine first ,then see if you can find ECU, injectors and turbo to match . Would probably be the cheapest, safest option ,although any second hand engine (especially 20 yr old ones) are obviously a bit of a gamble .

Full rebuild is probably the best option, pretty much a new engine but that's gonna cost £1k minuim in parts /gaskets alone .

All the best with it , feel free to start your own build thread or ask anything else 👍

21 hours ago, savage bulldogs said:

You'd have to Google ECU numbers and cross reference them with....

engines UK and wrx cams are the same ,sti are high lift .

Turbos ,variety fitted to each model ,so too big = lean (melty stuff) to small = rich (bore wash) 

Injectors pretty much same as turbos .

If you find a engine first ,then see if you can find ECU, injectors and turbo to match . Would probably be the cheapest, safest option ,although any second hand engine (especially 20 yr old ones) are obviously a bit of a gamble .

Full rebuild is probably the best option, pretty much a new engine but that's gonna cost £1k minuim in parts /gaskets alone .

All the best with it , feel free to start your own build thread or ask anything else 👍

Appreciate it thanks 😊

• Like 1